The ruins of a 13th Century castle, mentioned in ancient records as the "castrum de Obeyn". It was built originally as a motte and bailey stronghold. and later this was replaced by a stone keep. In the 17th Century this was, in its turn, replanned and rebuilt as a tower-house; part of the remains of this can still be seen. In 1801 a mansion house was built on the site. and this was transformed by Sir Cunliffe Brooks in the 1880s, when much baronial-style ornamentation was added. A relic of historical importance is preserved at the castle, the Formaston Stone. This dates from between a.d. 800 and 1000: it bears a mirror symbol, part of an elaborately decorated Celtic cross, and an inscription in the ancient Ogham script. Located 27 miles west of Aberdeen off A93, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
Return To Tour Aberdeenshire