Tour Scotland
Home Page


Dunkeld Railway Station

Dunkeld Railway Station

Dunkeld Station was designed by Andrew Heiton, a Perth architect, and opened on 7th April 1856 as a terminus on the Perth and Dunkeld Railway. It was operated by the Scottish Midland Junction Railway. This was absorbed by the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway in February 1864 and the line was continued north to Forres. It is still served by passenger trains.

The station's name has changed a number of times over the years. It was known as Birnam until 1 December 1861 when its name was changed to Dunkeld. On 1 January 1903 it was renamed Dunkeld and Birnam. It reverted to Dunkeld in the 1970s and subsequently back to Dunkeld and Birnam.

Dunkeld and Birnam are both villages which face one another across the River Tay, Birnam on the south bank, Dunkeld on the north. The station is closer to Birnam.

Return to Dunkeld History



Tour Scotland
Tour Edinburgh
Tour Island Of Skye

Rent A Self Catering Hoilday Cottage In Scotland

Share This Tour Scotland Web Page

Top Destinations
Tour Europe