Edinburgh's Last Days of Steam
Edinburgh's Last Days of Steam Edinburgh's Last Days of Steam. Railway services in Edinburgh began in earnest in 1846 and for 120 years thereafter the capital enjoyed major national rail links as well as an extensive suburban network, all served by the luxury of steam locomotives. This collection of fifty-five photographs, all taken by the author, records the last decade or so of steam power in the city and amongst the many locations included are: Balgreen Halt, Coltbridge Junction, Corstorphine, Craigentinny, Craiglockhart, Currie, Dalry Middle Junction, Dalry Road, Duddingston Junction, Easter Road Park Halt, Gilmerton, Granton Gasworks, Granton Harbour, Haymarket, Joppa, Kingsknowe, Leith Central (the city's great white elephant!), Leith East, Leith North, Lochend North Junction, Merchiston, Murrayfield, Newington, Niddrie, Niddrie West Junction, Portobello, Portobello East Junction, Princes Street, St Margaret's Depot, Saughton Junction, Seafield shed, Slateford, South Leith and, of course, Waverley. All photographs feature the locomotives of the time, including the famous A4 Pacifics of Waverley Station and a very rare shot of Caledonian Railway No. 123 which now resides in the Glasgow Museum of Transport. The book also includes a history of Edinburgh's railways and the author's many recollections of the late steam age, a time of punctual services - which would bring tears to the eyes of most of the harried passengers of today's services!
To Tour Edinburgh