Tour Scotland
Home Page


Glimpses Of Dumfries

Glimpses of Old Lockerbie (Dumfries & Galloway Through the Lens S.) Lockerbie owes its name, first recorded in 1194, to an early proprietor with the Anglo-Norman name of Loccard. It started to grow after 1603 when the Union of the Crowns enabled peaceful trade to develop between Scotland and England. In 1684 there were 76 adults in Lockerbie out of 554 in the whole parish. By 1831 there were 478 families in the parish and a total population of 2283. There were many shops, inns and local trades. By 1891 the population of the parish was 2971. An enormous boost came with the railway in 1848 and it became a Police Burgh in 1863. But throughout the whole of the 19th and 20th centuries the economy has been based on farming and the sale and movement of live and dead stock and produce. This volume shows the town of Lockerbie and some of the people towards the second half of this boom period.

Glimpses of Old Wigtownshire (Dumfries & Galloway Through the Lens) In 1994 the Wigtownshire Museum Service received a donation of a collection of glass photographic negatives from the Nicol family of Wigtown, who for two generations ran a chemist's business in High Street. The photographs had been taken by the Nicol's predecesssor who came to Wigtown in the late nineteenth century and was in the High Street premises for about 25 years. This booklet contains a selection of those photographs.

Dumfries and Galloway: A Literary Map. This map is intended as a handy reference guide for those travelling through Dumfries and Galloway, who may wish to visit monuments or attractions with literary associations or to gain a greater understanding of the region through its literature. This map is intended as a handy reference guide for those travelling through Dumfries and Galloway, who may wish to visit monuments or attractions with literary associations or to gain a greater understanding of the region through its literature; it may also be used for Scottish Studies and by literature students and schools to give an overview of the historical development of literature in the region. Over one hundred authors are featured, and sites of interest are indicated.

Glimpses of Old North West Dumfries (Dumfries & Galloway Through the Lens) The subject of this volume has altered as much as anywhere in the region over the last century. In those days, the north-western approach to Dumfries passed through farmland and small country estates. Initially change was slow, but accelerated following the uniting of Dumfries and Maxwelltown burghs in 1929. After the Second World War development was extended westwards and in July 1938 the boundary was extended to take in what is now Lincluden housing estate. In the late 1940's progress was rapid and when Lincluden ended, Lochside began! In the last fifteen years the most obvious change to the landscape has was the construction of the Dumfries Bypass. North-west Dumfries today would be unrecognisable to travellers from the past, but there are some survivals, namely Lincluden College and the remains of Lochside Motte. The idea for this book resulted from meetings with the ladies of the Family Learning Group of St Teresas's Primary school, and would not have happened without their enthusiasm and kindness in lending photographs and identifying people and places on them.

Glimpses of Old Annan Burgh (Dumfries & Galloway Through the Lens) Glimpses of Old Annan Burgh has been meticulously researched and presented by two of the town's best-known local history enthusiasts, Jim Hawkins and Alan Wilkins, representing the Friends of Annandale and Eskdale Museums. Most of the images have not been published before, and some are quite spectacular; there are two photos of the demolition of the Solway Viaduct, and one of the launch of the "Sarah Nicholson", the last of the famous Annan-built clipper ships. Other scenes include an international quoiting match and elephants in the River Annan. The accompanying text is equally fascinating, and covers topics as diverse as whammel boats and farcical fire control at a 1930s bus depot.

Glimpses of Old Queen of the South (Dumfries & Galloway Through the Lens S.) A few months after the end of World War I a meeting was arranged by several local enthusiasts who wanted to form a professional football club in Dumfries. It took place on 21st March 1919 in Dumfries Town Hall and it was suggested that three clubs, army side 5th KOSB, car factory team Arrol Johnston and Dumfries should combine. Names put forward for the new club included Dumfries United, Vale of Nith, Southern Wanderers and Queen of the South. After a vote Queen of the South was chosen by a large majority and Palmerston Park, already an established football venue was chosen as their home. Their first match took place on 16th August 1919.

Glimpses of Old Sanquhar, Wanlockhead and District (Dumfries & Galloway Through the Lens) Sanquhar is the only burgh in Nithsdale other than Dumfries, and has a long and complex history. Possibly created a burgh of barony in the time of King Robert the Bruce, the grant of important Royal Burgh status came in 1598. The task of research for this small book has been made so much easier by the wonderful histories of sanquhar and Wanlockhead that have been written from the mid-nineteenth century onwards. Many of the photographs in this volume may, therefore, have already been seen, but it is hoped that others will be new to most readers.

Glimpses of Old Eaglesfield, Kirtlebridge, Middlebie and Waterbeck (Dumfries & Galloway Through the Lens) Middlebie Parish, according to Reverend Nivison, the writer of the second Statistical Account 'exhibits an extremely irregular figure' and is '9 miles long, and 4½ broad, and contains 40 square miles.' Two hundred years ago the parish contained a greater population than it does now, without having a collection of houses large enough to be called a village. Today Eaglesfield alone has half the parish's inhabitants, and this book is as much as anything, a celebration of its growth.

Glimpses of Old Ruthwell, Cummertrees and Mouswald (Dumfries & Galloway Through the Lens) The three parishes of Mouswald, Ruthwell and Cummertrees are strung like beads along the necklace of the B724. For nearly a century after the 1760's it was the main route from England to Dumfries and Southwest Scotland. The parishes would, therefore have witnessed the great days of the stagecoach, two or three a day passing through in 1837. Eventually the High Road, now the A75, became more popular, and the railway, which follows the line of the Low Road, received traffic on both roads after 1850. The Low Road neatly splits the parishes. Approaching from Dumfries the land to the south soon reaches the expanses of firstly, the Lochar Moss and then the Solway. Northwards there are steep slopes above Rockhall and Mouswald Village which lessen to gentle undulations as Clarencefield and Cummertrees are reached. The views southwards to the Cumbrian hills are one of the joys for local residents.

Return To Tour Dumfries



Tour Scotland
Tour Edinburgh
Tour Island Of Skye

Rent A Self Catering Hoilday Cottage In Scotland

Share This Tour Scotland Web Page

Top Destinations
Tour Europe