A few area attractions easily reached from Dunkeld
Castle has been the ancient home and fortress of the Earls
and Dukes of Atholl for over 725 years. Situated in the wide
Strath of Garry, it commands a strategic position on the main
route through the Central Scottish Highlands. This central location,
in a romantic setting of mountains and rivers, makes it within
Palace is the family home of the Earls of Mansfield. Despite
its historic setting, the Palace we see today was only built
in 1802 by English architect William Atkinson, who went on to
create Abbotsford for Sir Walter Scott. Originally the site
of a 6th C. Celtic church, replaced in the 12th C. by an Augustinian
Abbey and a Bishop's Palace which provided lodgings for the
Kings of Scotland.
is a strange place to find down at the end of a mile-long and
unmetalled side-road, near the steep banks of the river, a place
packed with history and interest, yet not even a hamlet. Here,
there is a nationally-renowned ancient library, a pre-Reformation
chapel of some distinction, an early endowed school and a ruined
Castle was originally a 14th century keep which has been
extended extensively over the years. Macbeth was Thane of Glamis
but did not own the castle. King Malcolm II is reputed to have
been murdered in the castle (with blood stains on the floor
of "King Malcolm's Room" to prove the claim).
Castle was built in the latter half of the 16th century
for the Wemyss family, whose descendents still own it, although
it is now in the care of Historic Scotland. Overlooking the
River Tay, the tower-shaped castle has many original features,
including the ruins of the courtyard, the chapel and a round
tower with kiln.
is a most interesting castle. The structure consists of two
separate tower houses, of a type common from the north of England
through the Borders up into Scotland, which were subsequently
joined together to form a larger residence.
Museum. In the village of Meigle, 8 miles south east of
you can visit a truly unique collection of sculpted stones of
the Celtic Christian period. The 25 stones on display were excavated
from the local churchyard and now represent the largest collection
of their kind in existence. With two superb antique centres
in the village, meigle and its surrounding area is a favourite
with antique collectors.
Castle in Perthshire was a symbol of feudal times and is
well worth seeing. It sits about three miles from Glenfarg,
not far from the Fair
City of Perth. From its elevated position it commands an
excellent view over the Eden valley and the Lomonds. It used
to belong to the Murrays, who figure so largely in history,
then became the property of the Earl of Mansfield, the lineal
descendant of that ancient house, and is now managed by Historic
Gateway to the Glens Museum is situated in Kirriemuir’s
former Town House. The Town House sits in the heart of Kirriemuir,
the Square, and has had a long and intriguing history since
its construction in 1604.
Leven Castle sits peacefully on an islet in Loch Leven.
Every year, between April and October you can visit the the
island by ferry from Kinross,
and witness for yourself the historic scene of intrigue and
romance. Loch Leven Castle gained its infamy when it acted as
a prison for Mary
Queen of Scots in 1567. Her dramatic escape by boat is one
of Scotland's most romantic tales.
Castle became the regimental headquarters and museum of
the Black Watch in 1962. The museum spans three stories within
the castle, and one wing serves as offices for the regiment's
officers. Like many of the Highland Regiment museums, it contains
keepsakes, medals, campaign pennants, and other memorabilia
from the regiment, which was founded in 1739.
Castle in Angus Region is an impressive ruin, dating from
the early 16th century, with a large courtyard mansion of 1580.
The beautiful pleasance, a walled garden was built by Sir David
Lindsay in 1604; the heraldic and symbolic sculptures are unique
in Scotland, and the flowerfilled recesses in the walls add
to the outstanding formal garden, which also has a turreted
Menzies, lies West of Weem.
From the fourteenth century the lands around Weem were part
of the extensive possessions of the Chiefs of Clan Menzies and
it was here in 1488 that following the destruction by the fire
of the Menzies
stronghold, Comrie Castle (The ruins of a later replacement
of which are 4 miles west of Weem It became the seat of the
cadet branch), Sir Robert Menzies built a new mansion, the "Place
Castle and Gardens lies southwest of Crieff
and northwest of Muthil.
The castle, which dates from around1490, comprises an old tower
built by John, 1st Lord Drummond, Steward of Strathearn and
Justice-General to James IV. Much damaged by Cromwell's forces
in the mid-17th century and again during the the second Jacobite
Rebellion in 1745, Drummond Castle had been extended by the
architect John Mylne. It was rebuilt in the mid-19th century.