things were to change during the incumbency of Douglas’s
successor, James Campbell, who came in 1758. The 3rd Earl of
Breadalbane came back from a sojourn in England intent on building
a model village at Kenmore. He reconstructed Kenmore church,
adding the transepts and the Tower. The Church Green and Churchyard
were laid out and all burials at Inchadney were stopped in 1760.
Pennant, the traveller and social historian, came through Perthshire
in 1769. Having worshipped in the church, he noted that the
village of Kenmore had been rebuilt by the Earl of Breadalbane
round the Square. Pennant makes the observation: “Lord
Breadalbane permits the inhabitants of the village to live,
rent-free, on condition that they exercise some trade and keep
their houses clean”.
A new Manse, which still serves as the Manse of the Parish,
was built on the South side of the loch. The bridge at Kenmore
was built in 1774. The Church and village at Kenmore began to
look as they do today.
To Kenmore Church History