Glens of Scotland
(Gaelic Gleann Afraig) The forested valley of the
River Affric which flows northeast through Loch Affric to join
the River Glass near Cannich. The glen is surrounded by Munros,
making it popular with walkers and climbers. Glenaffric Forest
also offers walks and wildlife.
Valley of the Water of Ruchill which flows northeast and then
north to join the River Earn near Comrie. It appears in Sir
Walter Scott’s The Lady of the Lake.
Valley of the River Brittle which flows from the Cuillins in
Skye, west and then south to enter Loch Brittle. The village
of Glenbrittle lies on the coast at the end of the glen.
Glencalvie Valley in Sutherland
of the Water of Glencalvie
which flows north to join the River Carron, now a large sporting
Lodge has self—catering accommodation. The name has
become a poignant memorial to the Highland Clearances. In 1845
the people of Glencalvie were evicted from their homes by the
Duke of Sutherland and took shelter in nearby Croick Church,
one of the Parliamentary churches, built in overcrowded
parts of the Highlands in the 1820s. The words they scratched
on windows can still be seen today: Glen Calvie people was in
the churchyard May 24th 1845, and Glen Calvie people the wicked
One of the Angus glens, to the north of Kirriemuir,
through which the River South Esk runs. The 16th-century Clova
Castle, a home of the Ogilvies, is a ruin.
(Gaelic Gleann Comhann) Dramatic mountainous
valley lying between Rannoch Moor to the southeast and Loch
Leven to the north. The village of Glencoe is near Loch Leven.
The main A82 road from Fort William to Glasgow runs throughthe
glen, which is popular with tourists; offering walking, climbing
and skiing. Most of the area has belonged to the National Trust
for Scotland since the 1930s. It is forever associated with
the events of February 1692, known as the Massacre of Glencoe.
As part of an agreement with the Jacobite chiefs loyal to the
exiled James, King William required an oath of allegiance. Alasdair
MacIan, chief of the MacDonalds of
Glencoe, was prevented by bad weather and misunderstanding from
taking the oath within the set time. This failure was used as
an excuse for a savage primitive strike originally aimed at
MacDonell of Glengarry: The MacDonalds of Glencoe became the
new victims. Troops guartered in local homes for 12 days, enjoying
their hospitality, turned one morning and murdered 38 of the
clan, including the chief and some of his family. John Dalrymple,
Master of Stair, Secretary of State for Scotland (later 1st
Earl of Stair), was believed to be responsible, but the reputation
of King William in Scotland was also damaged. These events are
with other aspects of the history and environment of the area
in the Glencoe Visitor Centre.
(Gaelic Gleann Doire) Valley in the Cairngorms of the Derry
Burn which flows south to join the Lui Water at
Valley of the River Dessary which flows southeast from
Garbh Chioch Mhor, to join the River Pean just to the west of
the head of Loch Arkaig. The village of Glendessary is near
the foot of the Glen.
Valley of the River Devon running east through the
Ochil Hills to the village of Glendevon. It has 3 water-supply
reservoirs for Fife. The 15th-century Glendevon Castle belonged
to William Douglas, 8th Earl of Douglas. It was extensively
rebuilt in later centuries, and is now privately owned.
Valley that runs from a point 5 miles west of
Achnasheen northwest to Kinlochewe. There are excellent views
of Loch Maree and the mountains surrounding it.
One of the Angus glens, a valley of the White Water
which flows southeast to join the South Esk at the head of Glen
Clova. Surrounded by mountains, it is a popular glen for walkers.
Valley of the Douglas Water which flows east-wards to enter
Loch Lomond at Inverbeg.
Valley running through the Ochil Hills. The lands
belonged for many centuries to the Haldane family. Their medieval
castle, now ruined, was abandoned in favour of
Gleneagles House, built in 1720; its main block was never
constructed. A 12th—century chapel, rebuilt in the 16th
century, which gave the glen its name (from Gaelic eaglais meaning
church church) was restored in 1925 as a family war memorial.
The name Gleneagles is now synonymous with the internationally
renowned 5-star hotel near Auchterarder, planned by the Caledonian
Railway in 1909 and built 1913—25 to designs by James
Miller and Matthew Adams. It has 2 championship golf
courses and 2 others, and a prize—winning restaurant.
(Gaelic Gleann Eilg) Village in a remote Highland
peninsula, lying across the Sound of Sleat from Skye. A ferry
crosses to Kylerhea, following a route once popular with cattle
drovers. Two well-preserved brochs are nearby, in the care of
Historic Scotland. The area featured in Gavin Maxwell’s
novel Ring of Bright Water and a cairn marks the site of his
The most easterly of the Angus glens, the valley of the
River North Esk, which flows east from the Grampian mountains
and then southeast. The Glen Esk Folk Museum, housed in a former
shooting lodge, is at Tarfside, 9 miles northwest of Edzell.
(Gaelic Gleann Eite) Mountainous valley of the River
Etive, running southwest from Glen Coe to Loch Etive.
Distillery at Ballindalloch, established in 1836,
which produces a well-known malt whisky. It still belongs to
the Grant family, who acquired it in 1865. It has a visitor
(Gaelic Gleann Feisidh) The valley, to the west of the
Cairngorms, of the River Feshie which flows northwards to join
the River Spey at Kincraig. The River contains the best example
in the UK of a braided reach, where the river flows in several
shallow interconnected channels. Glenfeshie Forest lies to the
Distillery on Speyside, near Dufftown. One ot the best-known
malt whisky distilleries, it was one of the first to popularise
the drinking of single malts in the 1960s. It was founded in
1887 by William Grant.
(Gaelic Gleann Fhionain) Village at the mouth of Glen Finnan
and at the head of Loch Shiel, on the ‘Road to the
Isles’ from Fort William to Mallaig. It was here that
Charles Edward Stewart gathered his supporters and raised his
standard at the start of the 1745 Jacobite Rising. A column
topped with a statue of a clansman stands as a memorial on the
lochside, erected by Alexander Macdonald ot Glenaladale in 1815;
the National Trust for Scotland runs a visitor centre nearby.
Glenfinnan is also known as one of the most spectacular
points on the West Highland Railway line, with an impressive
21 arch concrete viaduct, built by Sir Robert MacAlpine.
Valley, near Helensburgh, of the Fruin Water which flows southeast
to Loch Lomond. In 1603 a battle here between the Colquhouns
and the MacGregors led to
the proscription ot the MacGregors.
(Inverness-shire) Valley of the River Garry which flows east
from Loch Quoich to Loch Garry. It belonged to
the MacDonnells of Glengarry. Their chief raised a regiment,
the Glengarry Fencibles, in 1774. Between 1802 and 1804 many
of the Glengarry Fencibles emigrated to Glengarry County, Ontario,
where the regiment was re-formed and fought against the American
invaders in the war of 1812.
The most westerly of the Angus glens, valley of the River
Isla which flows south from Glenshee, eventually joining the
River Tay to the east of Coupar Angus. When snow conditions
permit, it is popular for Nordic skiing.
Distillery near Pencaitland, East Lothian, established in
1837. One of the few remaining Lowland distilleries to produce
single malt whisky. It has a visitor centre with a Museum of
Malt Whisky Production.
(Gaelic Gleann Lôchaidh) Valley off the River Lochay
which flows east to Loch Tay at Killin.
(Gaelic Gleann Lochaidh) Valley, in Argyll, of the River Lochy
which flows southwest to join the River Orchy near Dalmally.
(Gaelic Gleann Liobhunn) Perfhshire valley of the River Lyon
which flows eastwards from Loch Lyon to join
the Tay between Aberfeldy and Kenmore. The 17th-century Glenlyon
House was remodelled for Sir Donald Currie in 1891 by Dunn and
Watson from sketches by James Marjoribanks MacLaren, who designed
the remarkable Arts and Crafts steading and farmhouse adjoining
Distillery on the Dornoch Firth, to the northwest of Tain,
established in 1843, it produces one of the most popular malt
whiskies. It has a visitor centre.
Glenmore is just to the north of the Cairngorms. Glenmore
Forest Park is managed by the Forestry Commission; it includes
a remnant of the ancient Caledonian pinewoods. The area offers
many outdoor activities, including watersports on Loch Morlich.
Lodge is an outdoor training centre.
(Gaelic Gleann Nibheis) Valley of the River Nevis, running west
and then northwest below the slopes of Ben Nevis,
with the main starting point for its climbers at the entrance
to the glen. It was used forfilming scenes from Mel Gibson’s
Braveheart. A visitor centre provides information on the history
and wildlife of the area.
(Gaelic Gleann Oguil) Leads 7 miles northwest
wards from Lochearnhead, following the course of the River Ogle.
The main A85 road passes through the glen, and the former Callendar
and Oban Railway through the glen is now a cycleway.
(Gaelic Gleann Urchaidh) Valley which carries the River Orchy
from Bridge of Orchy to the head of Loch Awe.
The Campbells of Glenorchy later became Earls of Breadalbane.
OGne of the Angus glens, carrying the Prosen Water
to join the South Esk at the foot of Glen Clova.
(Gaelic Gleann Ruaidh) Valley of the River Roy which flows
south to join the River Spean at Roy Bridge. At the end of the
Ice Age the valley contained a loch, and its reced-
ing levels are marked by the ‘Parallel Roads’, 3
terraces on the slopes on either side.
(Gaelic Gleann Shanaig) Valley on the island of Arran, leading
down trom the mountain Cir Mhor to Sannox Ray on the nocrtheast
coast of the island. Barytes was formerly mined there.
(Gaelic Gleann Sith) Dramatic valley reaching northwards trom
Blairgowrie into the Grampian mountains, containing one of Scotland's
leading ski centres, based largely
on the Cairnwell and Meall Odhar. The A93 runs through the glen
and over the Cairnwell Pass to the nocrth.
(Gaelic Gleann Seile) Valley running southeastwards
from Loch Duich to Loch Cluanie, between the Five Sisters of
Kintail and the Saddle, making it a popular area for hillwalking
and climbing. A battle took place here in 1719 Risings.
(Gaelic Gleann Siora) Valley of the River Shira which
flows southwestwards into Loch Fyne north of Inveraray. At the
top are reservoirs forming part of a large hydroelectric scheme.
Lower down is the ruin of a house where Rob Roy lived in exile
for several years.
(Gaelic Gleann Tanar) Fccrested valley, running
southwest from Aboyne, Aberdeenshire. The Glentanar estate offers
walking and fishing for tourists.
(Gaelic Gleann Teilt) Valley of the River Tilt, eroded
along a major geological fault; it flows in a southwestery direction
from the Cairngorms to join the River Garry at Blair Atholl.
Valley of the Water of Trool which flows from Loch Trool southwest
to join the River Cree 9 miles north of Newton Stewart. The
Glen Trool Forest Park forms part of the
extensive Galloway Forest Park. The village of Glentrool is
at the western end. The Southern Upland Way passes through the
Glen. The Battle of Glentrool took place in April 1307 when
Robert I defeated an English force. It was also the site of
the killing of 6 Covenanters in January 1685.
Valley of the River Enrick which flows southeast and then east
through Loch Meikle to Loch Ness at Drumnadrochit.
To Lochs and Rivers