Lochs of Scotland
Small loch in Achray Forest in the Queen Elizabeth
Forest Park, 7 miles west of Callander. The Pass of Achray is
a part of a narrow, steep-sided glen that carries Achray Water
east from Loch Katrine to Loch Achray. Loch
Loch Coir' a' Ghrunnda.
Sea loch bounded on the north by the peninsula of
Ardnish and on the south by Moidart. At its head, in a scenic
setting, is the hamlet of Lochailort, on the Road to the Isles.
Village on the west side of the entrance to Loch Aline
in Lochaber. Its churchyard has a 16th-century stone with one
of the earliest known depictions of a kilted figure. Nearby
are turreted Lochaline House and the 14th-century ruins of Ardtornish
Castle, stronghold of the Lords of the Isles. The main feature
of the village is a mine which produces the highest quality
silica sand in the UK used for optical glass and other purposes.
This is the only location in the UK where silica sand is mined
rather than extracted by opencast methods.
The area of sea bounded to the west by Kyle Akin, and
stretching inland to Eilean Donan, where Loch Long runs into
it from the northeast and Loch Doich from the southeast.
Loch an Eilein
Small loch in Badenoch, 3 miles south of Aviemore. It is noted
for ifs triple echo, and there are ruins of a
medieval castle, enlarged as a stronghold of the Wolf of
Badenoch, on a small island in the loch. Loch
Loch in Wester Ross, northeast of Poolewe. It lies one thousand
feet above sea level. A stream carries the waters down through
Gleann Bianasdail to Loch Maree.
Loch in the Trossachs, 3 miles west of Aberfoyle. The Loch Ard
Forest is part of the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park. Loch
(Gaelic Loch Asainn) Loch in Assynt, Sutherland, 5 miles east
of Lochinver, with the village of lnchnadamph at
its head. It is over 6 miles long and its maximum depth is
Loch on the Moor of Rannoch, close to the main road
to Glencoe. It is drained by the River Ba, which flows the short
distance to Loch Laidon.
(Gaelic Loch Baghasdail) Village and port in South Uist, on
the north shore of Loch Baghasdail. Ferries run from here to
Oban, Barra and Tiree.
Settlement and estate on the south coast of the isle of
Mull, on the isthmus between Loch Buie and Loch Uisg. There
are 3 former homes of the Maclaines of Lochbuie: the ruined
15th century keep of Moy Castle (which featured in the film
I Know Where I’m Going); Old Lochbuie House, built in
1752, where Dr Johnson and James Boswell stayed in 1773 (described
as ‘a poor house, though of two storeys indeed’),
now part of the outbuildings of the present Lochbuie House,
which dates from 1793. Prehistoric monuments in the area include
an ancient stone circle to the north, one of the few in the
west of Scotland.
(Gaelic Loch Carrunn) Sea loch in Wester Ross running northeast
to southwest to the narrows at Stromeferry.
Since 1973 the road from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh has followed
its eastern shore, alongside the railway, avoiding the need
for a ferry crossing at Strome. At the head of the Loch is Glen
Carron, which includes Achnashellach Forest, one of the first
forests set up by the Forestry Commission and the scene of research
into the reclamation of bog land. Lochcarron Village near the
head of Loch Carron, formerly known as Jeantown, noted for its
locally woven tartans and as a centre for exploring the area,
especially the hills of Torridon, Applecross and around Achnashellach.
Long narrow loch running west east from the head of Glen Shiel,
one of the upper reservoirs of the Garry-
Moriston hydroelectric scheme. Cluanie Inn, near the head of
the Loch, us a favourite haunt of weary climbers and walkers.
(Gaelic Loch Coir’ uisge) In a spectacular location
on the Isle of Skye, surrounded by the Cuillin mountains, this
long, narrow loch has no road access, only footpaths, one of
which crosses a tricky part known as the Bad Step.
(Gaelic Loch Creaginnis) Opening out into the Sound of Jura,
this loch and its shores are a popular destination
for tourists, particularly with pleasure boats. A road runs
along the shore to Craignish Point The privately owned 19th
century Craignish Castle is built on the site of an earlier
tower house which belonged to the Campbells. At the head of
the loch is the village of Ardfern, a popular yachting centre.
Sea loch in Argyll, opening out into Loch Linnhe. Barcaldine
Castle overlooks the loch from Benderloch, and the Scottish
Sea Uk Sanctuary is on the shore.
Small loch to the east of Crianlarich. On an islet in the middle
of the loch are the ruins of a castle.
Large loch and reservoir in hilly country in Ayrshlre
at the head of the River Doon, 5 miles south of
Dalmellington. Water from the loch travels through a tunnel
into the River Ken watershed, forming part of the hydroelectric
scheme. When the level of the loch was raised in the 193Os for
the scheme, the remains of the early 14th century Loch Doon
Castle, which formerly stood on an island in the loch, were
moved to the lochside; in the care of HistorIc Scotland.
(Gaelic Loch Dubhthaich) Sea loch, 5 miles long, that runs northwest
from Glen Shiel into Loch Alsh at Ellean
(Gaelic Loch Eire) Long narrow loch 11 miles west of Crieff,
drained by the River Earn, near St Fillans at the
eastern end. Lochcearnhead Village at the west end of Loch Earn
and at the mouth of Glen Ogle. It owes its existence to the
meeting of roads and railways going north with the road from
the east, along Loch Earn, and is now a centre for sailing and
water-skiing on the loch
and for climbing in the surrounding hills, including Ben Vorlich.
To the southeast and on the shores of the loch is Edinample
Castle, built in 1584 for Sir Duncan Campbell, and east of Edinample
is Ardvorlich House, from 1580 the home of the Stewarts of Ardvorlich,
rebuilt 1790: a stone at the gate records the internment of
7 MacDonalds of Glenene, killed when attempting to harry Ardvorlich,
(Gaelic Loch Aic) Narrow loch on the Cowal peninsula, with the
Younger Botanic Gardens at Benmore on its
southern shore. Loch
(Gaelic Loch Iall) Sea loch which runs 7 miles eastwards and
opens into Loch Linnhe at Fort William. The Chiefs
of the Clan Cameron have taken the name Lochiel.
Loch near the west coast to the east of Loch Ailort, the
West Highland Railway runs along its southern side. The Biver
Ailort leads from the Inch into Loch Ailort.
Loch which is completely surrounded by mountains, at the head
of Glen Einich, a deep glacial valley running through the Cairogorms
to the west of Braeriach.
Long sea loch in Sutherland, running southwest-
northeast into the sea on the north coast.
(Gaelic Loch Eireachd) A long narrow loch running 15 miles south-south-west
from the village of Dalwhinnie, on the boundary between Perth
and Kinross and Highland Council areas. It is overlooked by
Ben Alder at its southern end. The River Ericht flows from the
south of the loch into Loch Rannoch.
Small high-level loch in the Cairngorms, to the northeast of
(Gaelic Loch Eite) Long narrow sea loch in Argyll,
running southwest from Glen Etive, and then west to open out
into the Firth of Lorn. There is no road access to the shores
of the loch in its upper parts, except near the head. The narrows
near its mouth are spanned by connel Bridge and Dunstaffnage
Castle stands on a promontory to the west.
(Gaelic Loch lu) The River Ewe rushes for 3 miles from Loch
Maree into Loch Ewe, a sea loch 10 miles long on the on the
west coast. Poolewe is at the head of the loch, near the exotic
Inverewe Gardens. lo the 17th century, the Ewe powered the Red
Smiddy blast furnace at Poolewe, the second such in Scotland;
see also Letterewe. At the wee village of Aultbea, on the east
shore, there were anchorages for the Home Fleet in World Wars
I and II. During World War II Arctic convoys assembled here
en route for Russia. There is now a NATO refuelling depot nearby.
The small Isle of Ewe, in the middle of the loch, made it easier
to construct an anti- submarine boom in World War II.
Man-made reservoir one and a half miles from Pitlochry, formed
when the Tummel valley was dammed as part
of a hydroelectric scheme in 1947—50. A salmon ladder
built into the dam at Pitlochry attracts many visitors.
(Gaelic Loch Fine) Sea loch in Argyll, stretching firstly
southwest and then southeast, to open into the Sound of Bute.
It is well known for fishing and oysters, and the Loch Fyne
Oyster Bar at the head of the loch is a renowned outlet for
these. It had an important herring-fishing industry, practised
from distinctive Loch Fyne skiffs. The Crinan Canal enters the
Inch at Ardrishaig. Loch
(Gaelic Loch Ghartain) Near Boat of Garten, this small loch
forms part of a nature reserve. The Abernethy Forest Reserve
ot the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds on the shores
of the loch is home to nesting ospreys, and was crucial in encouraging
the reestablishment of these rare birds in Scotland.
(Gaelic Ceann Loch Gilp) Small town in Argyll, at the head of
Loch Gilp. In the late 18th century it was laid out as a planned
town after the building of a road from Inveraray to Campbeltown.
It expanded further as a result of the
opening of the Crinan Canal in 1801. The road from Oban, and
steamers to Glasgow from nearby Ardrishaig, added to its importance
as a route centre. It is a tourist and shopping centre.
(Gaelic Ceann Loch Goibhle) Victorian village and
small resort in Argyll, at the head of Loch Goil, an arm of
Loch Long. The parish church is 18th century T-plan in form,
but medieval in origin; restored 1957. The village has fine
views to the south of Argyll’s Bowling Green, hills in
the Argyll Forest Park. To the northwest is Hell’s Glen
Pass leading to Loch Fyne and to the northeast the Rest and
be Thankful pass. Loch
Long narrow loch in the north of Sutherland, joined
by the short River Hope to Loch Eriboll at its northern end.
Ruined 13th-century castle on an island in a loch of the same
name on Dava Moor between the Rivers Spey
and Findhorn, 7 miles northwest of Grantown—on—Spey.
hunting seat of the Comyn family, it became better known as
one of the strongholds of the Wolf of Badenoch. It came into
the hands of Archibald Douglas, Earl of Moray but he was defeated
and killed in rebellion against James II in 1455 and the castle
was destroyed and left as a ruin.
(Gaelic Loch an Inbhir) Fishing village and resort at
the head of Loch Inver on the west coast ot Sutherland.
Glencanisp Forest, 4 miles southeast, has the mountain
Suilven, which towers impressively behind the village.
(Gaelic Loch Ceiteirein) Large loch in the Trossachs, 8 miles
west of Callander. Since 1859 it has been the major source of
water for Glasgow. It features in Sir Walter Scott’s poem
‘The Lady of the Lake’, with Ellen’s Isle
its eastern end. Loch
Long narrow loch running southeast trom New Galloway, fed by
the Water of Ken. The level of the loch was
raised in the 1930s to form part of the Galloway hydroelectric
scheme. The lower part of the loch is also known as the River
Dee, which flows from its southern end.
Long narrow loch to the southwest of Newtonmore; the Laggan
Dam was built in 1926 to supply hydroelectric power to the aluminium
works at Fort William. The area has been used by the BBC for
the filming of the TV
series Monrach of the Glen.
Long narrow loch on the Rannoch Moor, running
southwest—northeast to near Rannoch Station on the West
Loch that runs 11 miles west from Kinlochleven to Loch Linnhe.
A bridge now carries the road over the narrows
near its mouth, replacing the Ballachulish ferry.
Loch on the east side of Kinross, noted for its brown
trout. It is a nature reserve. It has 7 islands; the medieval
ruins of Lochleven Priory are on the largest island, St Serf’s;
the ruined 15th century Lochleven Castle is on Castle Island.
Mary, Queen of Scots was imprisoned here in 1567 but escaped
in 1568 with the help of William Douglas. The level of the loch
was raised in the 19th century to provide water power for the
industries of the Leven Valley. Loch
Long sea loch that runs 22 miles southwest from Fort William
to Mull. The southern end of the Caledonian
canal is at the head of the loch. Loch
Loch in the Great Glen, in Lochaber, that runs 10 miles southwest
from Laggan to Gairlochy. It forms part of the
Caledonian canal. Loch
(Gaelic Loch Laomainn) Scotland’s largest loch, situated
northwest of Glasgow, in the Loch Lomond and the
Trossachs National Park, it is also the largest area of inland
water in Britain. It extends 24 miles north from Balloch to
Ardlui. At its wider southern end there are some 30 wooded islands,
many of which were inhabited in the 5th century by Irish missionaries.
On Inchmurrin, the largest, St Mirren is believed to have founded
a monastery in the 6th century and there are ruins of the 14th
century castle of the earls of Lennox. lnchcailloch, owned by
Scottish Natural Heritage, means ‘island of the old women’,
leading to the belief that there was a nunnery there, though
no trace has been found. It is the burial place of the MacGregors
and the Macfarlanes.
Several of the islands lie along the Highland Boundary Fault.
There are cruising and boating facilities and the southeast
corner is a nature reserve. The West Highland Way long-distance
path runs along the east bank. The Loch Lomond Golf Club is
a championship course and is currently used for the annual Scottish
Long, narrow, deep inlet of the Firth of Clyde that
extends 16 miles northeast from Kilcreggan at the southern end
of the Rosneath peninsula to Arrochar. At Arrochar it is only
2 miles from Loch Lomond, and it was across this strip of land
that the Vikings pulled their boats to raid central Scotland
before the Battle of Largs.
Narrow loch in Wester Ross that runs into Loch Alsh
(Gaelic Loch Laghail) Large loch in Caithness, 4 miles south
of Tongue. Ben Loyal rises above its west side.
Narrow loch between Callander and Strathyre that is popular
with anglers. It is drained by the River Leny, and
Ben Ledi towers above its western bank.
(Gaelic Loch Luicheart) Loch 6 miles west of Strathpeffer, Ross
and Cmmarty. In the 1950s the level of the loch
was raised by a 65ft dam as part of an extensive hydroelectric
scheme in the area. The village of Loehluiehart, its station
and a stretch of railway had to be relocated at a higher level.
(Gaelic Loch Loibhunn) Isolated large loch at the head of Glen
Lyon that is also a reservoir, part of a hydroelectric
Small town and ancient royal burgh in
Dumfries and Galloway 4 miles west of Lockerbie, surrounded
by several small lochs. A handsome, spired tolbooth of 1723
and 1741 dominates the long triangular market place which forms
the High Street. On the south shore of one of the lochs, Castle
Loch, is ruined 13th century Lochmaben Castle, now in the care
of Historic Scotland, which is said to have been the birthplace
of Robert the Bruce. This was the focal point of English control
in southwest Scotland in the 14th century.
(Gaelic Loch na Madadh) Port and chief village of
North Uist, on the west shore of Loch na Madadh. It is the terminal
for the vehicle and passenger ferry to Uig on Skye.
(Gaelic Loch Ma-ruibh) Large loch near Gairloch, Wester Ross.
Slopes contain the Beinn Eighe National Nature
Reserve and a fragment of the Caledonian forest. It has several
islands, one of which, Isle Maree, held a cell of St Maelrubha.
Loch Melfort (or Melford) Sea loch
on the Argyll coast,
opposite Luing, 11 miles south of Oban, with Kilmelfort
near its head, where there is good yacht anchorage.
Remote loch to the east of Glen Carron in the northern Highlands.
Now dammed to form a reservoir for a
hydroelectric scheme, it is surrounded by mountains, many of
which are Munros.
Loch Muick (pronounced ‘mick’)
Loch at the foot of Lochnagar, near Ballater, part of the Loch
Muick and Lochnagar Wildlife Reserve, established by the royal
A large, very remote loch, to the north of Glen Affric, surrounded
by mountains many of which are Munros; it is now dammed as part
of a hydroelectric scheme.
(Gaelic Loch na gàire) Mountain ridge on the royal
Balmoral Estate, southeast of Braemar, the grandeur of which
is noted in a poem by Lord Byron with the line The steep frowning
glories of dark Lochnagar. The main Munro summit is Cac Carn
Beag and there are several subsidiary
summits, including Cuidhe Crôm and Meikle Pap. Lochnagar.
Loch nan Keal
Sea loch on the west coast of Mull, which at its east end is
less than 3 miles from Salen, a village on the Sound
Loch nan Uamh
Sea loch and offshoot of the Sound of Arisaig between Arisaig
and the peninsula of Ardnish, on the Lochaber
coast. Prince Charles Edward Stewart landed here in August 1745
at the beginning or his attempt to retrieve the British crowns,
and it was from here that he left Scotland for ever in September
1746; the Prince’s Cairn, on the north coast of the Loch,
marks the spot. In 1746 there was a naval battle in the loch
when two French ships with supplies for the Jacobites were intercepted
by Royal Navy frigates. The French escaped and gold they were
carrying is said to have been carried inland to Loch
Arkaig where it still lies hidden.
(Gaelic Loch Nis) Long, very deep loch running south-
west-northeast from Fort Augustus to the outskirts of
Inverness. It forms part of the Caledonian CanaL There have
been reported sightings in the loch, especially since the 1930s,
of a very large creature, known as the Loch Ness Monster (or
Nessie); in spite of many investigations, no explanation has
(Gaelic Loch Nibheis) Large sea loch between Knoydart and Morar,
leading into the Sound of Sleat. On its north shore is the remote
village of Inverie.
Loch of Harray
Large loch to the south of Dounby on Mainland Orkney. At its
southern end it is separated from Loch of Stenness by a narrow
tongue of land, on which stands the Ring
of Brodgar and a causeway.
Loch of Lowes
Small loch just to the northeast of Dunkeld. Ospreys nest there
and can be viewed from the Observation Hide
at the Scottish Wildlife Trust’s wildlife reserve.
Loch of Stenness
Large loch on Mainland Orkney, to the northeast of Stromness.
It is separated at its eastern end from the Loch of Harray by
a narrow tongue of land.
Loch of the Lowes
Small loch that runs into the head of St Mary’s Loch in
Narrow loch in the Great Glen, forming part of the
Caledonlan Canal, between the larger Loch Lochy and Loch Ness.
Former mining town near Cowdenheath. Lochore Meadows Country
Park o the southwest, is a recreation area on the north side
of Loch Ore, formed by landscaping an area of mining dereliction.
Loch to the north ot the Moor of Rannoch, close to Corrour station.
Corrour Shooting Lodge is at its northeastern end, and there
is a Youth Hostel at its southwestern end.
Loch o’ the Lowes
Small loch one mile northwest of New Cumnock, Ayrshire.
(Gaelic Loch Raineach) Long narrow loch to the east of the Moor
of Rannoch. At its western end on the River
Gaur is a large power station, part of the Tummel hydroelectric
Small village and resort at the north end of the Isand of Arran
on Loch Ranza. Loch Ranza means
‘loch of safe anchorage’, and Robert the Bruce landed
here from Ireland in 1306 at the beginning of his campaign for
independence from England. Lochranza Castle dates from early
medieval times, but was probably reconstructed in the 16th century;
in the care of Historic Scotland.
Sea loch leading into the Kyles of Bute from the north.
(Gaelic Loch Rôg) Large sea loch on the northwest
coast of Lewis, with many islands. It is divided into Fast and
West Loch Roag by the island of Bernera.
Large sea loch on the south coast ot Skye, to the
south of the Cuillins.
Long sea loch on the west coast of Mull.
Long narrow sea loch on the southeast coast of Lewis, which
for part of its length forms the boundary between
Lewis and Harris, reaching a considerable distance inland.
(Gaelic Loch Seile) Running from Glenfinnan to Aeharacle, a
narrow loch with splendid mountain scenery. On St Finan’s
Isle in the loch is a ruined chapel. Prince Charles
Edward Stewart sailed up the loch in 1745 and raised his
standard at Glenfinnan. Loch
(Gaelic Loch Sloidh) Near the north end of Loch Lomond, Loch
Sloy has been greatly enlarged by one of the first hydroelectric
schemes taking advantage of one of the highest rainfalls in
Large sea loch on the northwest coast of Skye,
between the Trotternish and Vaternish peninsulas.
Narrow, remote sea loch leading southwards to meet the east
end of the Kyles of Bute. It has often been used
as a harbour for ships when they are not in commission.
(Gaelic Loch Suaineart) Long sea loch on the west
coast between Ardnamurchan and Morvern. It has fine oak woods
on its northern shore.
(Gaelic Loch Suain) Sea loch in Argyll, running parallel to
the Sound of Jura, sooth of crinan. Castle Sween on
its eastern shore dates back to the 12th century; in the care
of Historic Scotland, as are medieval chapels at Kilmory Knap
and Keills, which contain outstanding West Highland sculptured
grave slabs. The village of Tayvallich is near its northern
(Gaelic Loch Tatha) Long loch in the central Highlands,
running southwest-northeast from Killin to Kenmore, and overlooked
by Ben Lawers. Its irregular shape is due to displacement of
the central part along the Loch Tay geological fault. There
are the sites of at least 23 crannogs in the loch, and near
Kenmore is the Scottish Crannog Centre. Loch
(Gaelic Loch Toirbheartan) Large sea loch in Wester Ross, between
Torridon and Applecross. It is split into 3 parts; Upper Loch
Torridon is furthest inland, separated by a
narrow channel from Loch Shieldaig in the centre, with Loch
Torridon proper extending to the open sea.
Long, narrow loch to the north of Rannoch Moor. It is the main
reservoir for the hydroelectric scheme which powers
the aluminium smelter at Fort William.
Loch in Argyll, near Bridge of Orchy, close to the main road
through Glencoe; drained by the River Orchy.
(Gaelic Loch Teimheil) A long, narrow loch near Pitlochry; with
the Clunie Dam at the east end, it forms part of
the Tummel hydroelectric power scheme. On a high point
near the east end is the Queen’s View, where Queen Victoria
admired the scenery in 1866.
(Gaelic Loch Bheannchair) Loch in the Trossachs, near Aberfoyle,
source of the River Teith, a renowned beauty spot, with a magnificent
neo—classical sluice house by
James Bateman (1856—18599), part of Glasgow’s Loch
Katrine water supply scheme. Loch
(Gaelic Loch Bheothail) Narrow loch in the Perthshire hills,
to the west of Balquhidder. Loch
Small town, 12 miles southwest of Paisley, at the southwest
end of Castle Semple Loch. Textile mills and bleachworks were
set up in the late 18th century. Later industries included furniture-making
and coopering. To the northwest of the Loch are the ruins of
the Gothic Castle Semple Collegiate Church, in the care of Historic
Scotland. The village is surrounded by the clyde Muirshiel Regional
Park and nearby is a reserve of the Royal Society for the Protection