Tour Scotland
Home Page


Scottish Lochs

Andy Stewart
Campbeltown Loch
Andy Stewart - 20 Scottish Favourites - Campbeltown Loch

Canadian Bagpipes
Loch Duich
The Canadian Scottish Regiment Pipes and Drums & The Third Marine Aircraft Wing Band - Canadian Bagpipes & American Brass - The Gairloch and Loch Duich

Rob Gordon
and His Band

Wind On Loch Fyne
Rob Gordon and His Band - The Complete Caledonian Ball - Wind On Loch Fyne

Kenneth McKellar
Loch Lomond
Kenneth McKellar - A Scottish Journey - Loch Lomond

Moira Anderson
Loch Maree
Moira Anderson - A Land for All Seasons - Loch Maree

Martyn Bennett
Loch Rannoch
Martyn Bennett - Salm & Soul - Loch Rannoch

Margaret MacLelland
Loch Shiel
Margaret MacLelland - Highlands and Islands Vol One:Loch Shiel - Ri Taobh Loch Seile

Silly Wizard
The Loch Tay
Boat Song

Silly Wizard - Kiss The Tears Away - The Loch Tay Boat Song


Scottish Lochs

Loch Achray
Small loch in Achray Forest in the Queen Elizabeth
Forest Park, 7 miles west of Callander. The Pass of Achray is a part of a narrow, steep-sided glen that carries Achray Water east from Loch Katrine to Loch Achray.

Loch Affric
(Gaelic Loch Afraig) Loch in Glen Affric that is formed in the course of the River Affric, 12 miles southwest of Cannich.

Loch Ailort
Sea loch bounded on the north by the peninsula of
Ardnish and on the south by Moidart. At its head, in a scenic setting, is the hamlet of Lochailort, on the Road to the Isles.

Lochaline
Village on the west side of the entrance to Loch Aline
in Lochaber. Its churchyard has a 16th-century stone with one of the earliest known depictions of a kilted figure. Nearby are turreted Lochaline House and the 14th-century ruins of Ardtornish Castle, stronghold of the Lords of the Isles. The main feature of the village is a mine which produces the highest quality silica sand in the UK used for optical glass and other purposes. This is the only location in the UK where silica sand is mined rather than extracted by opencast methods.

Loch Alsh
The area of sea bounded to the west by Kyle Akin, and
stretching inland to Eilean Donan, where Loch Long runs into it from the northeast and Loch Doich from the southeast.

Loch an Eilein
Small loch in Badenoch, 3 miles south of Aviemore. It is noted for ifs triple echo, and there are ruins of a
medieval castle, enlarged as a stronghold of the Wolf of
Badenoch, on a small island in the loch.

Lochan Fada
Loch in Wester Ross, northeast of Poolewe. It lies one thousand feet above sea level. A stream carries the waters down through Gleann Bianasdail to Loch Maree.

Loch Ard
Loch in the Trossachs, 3 miles west of Aberfoyle. The Loch Ard Forest is part of the Ooeen Elizabeth Forest Park.

Loch Arkaig
(Gaelic Loch Airceig) Loch connected to Loch Lochy in the Great Glen by the short River Arkaig. The name is
also applied to the district near Achnacarry that was strongly
Jacobite in 1745.

Loch Assynt
(Gaelic Loch Asainn) Loch in Assynt, Sutherland, 5 miles east of Lochinver, with the village of lnchnadamph at
its head. It is over 6 miles long and its maximum depth is
282 feet.

Loch Awe
(Gaelic Loch Obha) Long, narrow, deep loch in Argyll, 24 miles long, extending northeast from Ford to Kilchurn castle near Dalmally. The loch, noted for salmon and
trout fishing, has several islands, including Inishail, which has a ruined convent and chapel, and Innis Chonell, which has a ruined castle of the Campbells. In the heyday of the Campbell Clan, Loch Awe acted as a kind of natural moat for their protection. At the northwest end of the loch is the Cruachan hydroelectric pumped-storage scheme, deep in the bowels of Ben Cruachan, on the Pass of Brander. Lochawe Village in Argyll sits on the northwest bank of Loch Awe 3 miles west of Dalmally. St Conan’s Kirk, built by the Campbells ot Blythswood between 1881 and 1930, exhibits eccentrically mixed styles and incorporates ancient fragments gathered from other sites. To the west is the Cruachan Power Station and to the east Kilchurn Castle.

Loch Ba
Loch on the Moor of Rannoch, close to the main road
to Glencoe. It is drained by the River Ba, which flows the short distance to Loch Laidon.

Lochboisdale
(Gaelic Loch Baghasdail) Village and port in South Uist, on the north shore of Loch Baghasdail. Ferries run from here to Oban, Barra and Tiree.

Loch Broom
(Gaelic Loch Bhraoin) Long sea loch on the north-
west coast, running southeast to northwest. Ullapool is near the end of its narrower southerly section, and where it widens into the Minch are the Summer Isles. Lochbroom is a name for the area round Loch Broom, and specifically an extensive parish, one of the largest in Scotland.

Lochbuie
Settlement and estate on the south coast of the isle of
Mull, on the isthmus between Loch Buie and Loch Uisg. There are 3 former homes of the Maclaines of Lochbuie: the ruined 15th century keep of Moy Castle (which featured in the film I Know Where I’m Going); Old Lochbuie House, built in 1752, where Dr Johnson and James Boswell stayed in 1773 (described by Boswell
as ‘a poor house, though of two storeys indeed’), now part of the outbuildings of the present Lochbuie House, which dates from 1793. Prehistoric monuments in the area include an ancient stone circle to the north, one of the few in the west of Scotland.

Loch Carron
(Gaelic Loch Carrunn) Sea loch in Wester Ross running northeast to southwest to the narrows at Stromeferry.
Since 1973 the road from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh has followed its eastern shore, alongside the railway, avoiding the need for a ferry crossing at Strome. At the head of the Loch is Glen Carron, which includes Achnashellach Forest, one of the first forests set up by the Forestry Commission and the scene of research into the reclamation of bog land. Lochcarron Village near the head of Loch Carron, formerly known as Jeantown, noted for its locally woven tartans and as a centre for exploring the area, especially the hills of Torridon, Applecross and around Achnashellach.

Loch Cluanie
Long narrow loch running west east from the head of Glen Shiel, one of the upper reservoirs of the Garry-
Moriston hydroelectric scheme. Cluanie Inn, near the head of the Loch, us a favourite haunt of weary climbers and walkers.

Loch Coruisk
(Gaelic Loch Coir’ uisge) In a spectacular location
on the Isle of Skye, surrounded by the Cuillin mountains, this long, narrow loch has no road access, only footpaths, one of
which crosses a tricky part known as the Bad Step.

Loch Craignish
(Gaelic Loch Creaginnis) Opening out into the Sound of Jura, this loch and its shores are a popular destination
for tourists, particularly with pleasure boats. A road runs along the shore to Craignish Point The privately owned 19th century Craignish Castle is built on the site of an earlier tower house which belonged to the Campbells. At the head of the loch is the village of Ardfern, a popular yachting centre.

Loch Creran
Sea loch in Argyll, opening out into Loch Linnhe. Barcaldine Castle overlooks the loch from Benderloch, and the Scottish Sea Uk Sanctuary is on the shore.

Loch Dochart
Small loch to the east of Crianlarich. On an islet in the middle of the loch are the ruins of a castle.

Loch Doon
Large loch and reservoir in hilly country in Ayrshlre
at the head of the River Doon, 5 miles south of
Dalmellington. Water from the loch travels through a tunnel into the River Ken watershed, forming part of the hydroelectric scheme. When the level of the loch was raised in the 193Os for the scheme, the remains of the early 14th century Loch Doon Castle, which formerly stood on an island in the loch, were moved to the lochside; in the care of HistorIc Scotland.

Loch Duich
(Gaelic Loch Dubhthaich) Sea loch, 5 miles long, that runs northwest from Glen Shiel into Loch Alsh at Ellean
Donan.

Loch Earn
(Gaelic Loch Eire) Long narrow loch 11 miles west of Crieff, drained by the River Earn, near St Fillans at the
eastern end. Lochcearnhead Village at the west end of Loch Earn and at the mouth of Glen Ogle. It owes its existence to the meeting of roads and railways going north with the road from the east, along Loch Earn, and is now a centre for sailing and water-skiing on the loch
and for climbing in the surrounding hills, including Ben Vorlich. To the southeast and on the shores of the loch is Edinample Castle, built in 1584 for Sir Duncan Campbell, and east of Edinample is Ardvorlich House, from 1580 the home of the Stewarts of Ardvorlich, rebuilt 1790: a stone at the gate records the internment of 7 MacDonalds of Glenene, killed when attempting to harry Ardvorlich, in 1620.

Loch Eck
(Gaelic Loch Aic) Narrow loch on the Cowal peninsula, with the Younger Botanic Gardens at Benmore on its
southern shore.

Loch Eil
(Gaelic Loch Iall) Sea loch which runs 7 miles eastwards and opens into Loch Linnhe at Fort William. The Chiefs
of the Clan Cameron have taken the name Lochiel.

Loch Eilt
Loch near the west coast to the east of Loch Ailort, the
West Highland Railway runs along its southern side. The Biver Ailort leads from the Inch into Loch Ailort.

Loch Einich
Loch which is completely surrounded by mountains, at the head of Glen Einich, a deep glacial valley running through the Cairogorms to the west of Braeriach.

Loch Eriboll
Long sea loch in Sutherland, running southwest-
northeast into the sea on the north coast.

Loch Ericht
(Gaelic Loch Eireachd) A long narrow loch running 15 miles south-south-west from the village of Dalwhinnie, on the boundary between Perth and Kinross and Highland Council areas. It is overlooked by Ben Alder at its southern end. The River Ericht flows from the south of the loch into Loch Rannoch.

Loch Etchachan
Small high-level loch in the Cairngorms, to the northeast of Ben Macdui.

Loch Etive
(Gaelic Loch Eite) Long narrow sea loch in Argyll,
running southwest from Glen Etive, and then west to open out into the Firth of Lorn. There is no road access to the shores of the loch in its upper parts, except near the head. The narrows near its mouth are spanned by connel Bridge and Dunstaffnage Castle stands on a promontory to the west.

Loch Ewe
(Gaelic Loch lu) The River Ewe rushes for 3 miles from Loch Maree into Loch Ewe, a sea loch 10 miles long on the on the west coast. Poolewe is at the head of the loch, near the exotic Inverewe Gardens. lo the 17th century, the Ewe powered the Red Smiddy blast furnace at Poolewe, the second such in Scotland; see also Letterewe. At the wee village of Aultbea, on the east shore, there were anchorages for the Home Fleet in World Wars I and II. During World War II Arctic convoys assembled here en route for Russia. There is now a NATO refuelling depot nearby. The small Isle of Ewe, in the middle of the loch, made it easier to construct an anti- submarine boom in World War II.

Loch Faskally
Man-made reservoir one and a half miles from Pitlochry, formed when the Tummel valley was dammed as part
of a hydroelectric scheme in 1947—50. A salmon ladder built into the dam at Pitlochry attracts many visitors.

Loch Fyne
(Gaelic Loch Fine) Sea loch in Argyll, stretching firstly
southwest and then southeast, to open into the Sound of Bute. It is well known for fishing and oysters, and the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar at the head of the loch is a renowned outlet for these. It had an important herring-fishing industry, practised from distinctive Loch Fyne skiffs. The Crinan Canal enters the Inch at Ardrishaig.

Loch Garten
(Gaelic Loch Ghartain) Near Boat of Garten, this small loch forms part of a nature reserve. The Abernethy Forest Reserve ot the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds on the shores of the loch is home to nesting ospreys, and was crucial in encouraging the reestablishment of these rare birds in Scotland.

Lochgilphead
(Gaelic Ceann Loch Gilp) Small town in Argyll, at the head of Loch Gilp. In the late 18th century it was laid out as a planned town after the building of a road from Inveraray to Campbeltown. It expanded further as a result of the
opening of the Crinan Canal in 1801. The road from Oban, and steamers to Glasgow from nearby Ardrishaig, added to its importance as a route centre. It is a tourist and shopping centre.

Lochgoilhead
(Gaelic Ceann Loch Goibhle) Victorian village and
small resort in Argyll, at the head of Loch Goil, an arm of Loch Long. The parish church is 18th century T-plan in form, but medieval in origin; restored 1957. The village has fine views to the south of Argyll’s Bowling Green, hills in the Argyll Forest Park. To the northwest is Hell’s Glen Pass leading to Loch Fyne and to the northeast the Rest and be Thankful pass.

Loch Hope
Long narrow loch in the north of Sutherland, joined
by the short River Hope to Loch Eriboll at its northern end.

Loch Hourn
(Gaelic Loch Shuirn) Long sea loch on the west coast, to the north of Knoydart, opening into the Sound of Sleat.

Lochindorb Castle
Ruined 13th-century castle on an island in a loch of the same name on Dava Moor between the Rivers Spey
and Findhorn, 7 miles northwest of Grantown—on—Spey. Once
a hunting seat of the Comyn family, it became better known as one of the strongholds of the Wolf of Badenoch. It came into the hands of Archibald Douglas, Earl of Moray but he was defeated and killed in rebellion against James II in 1455 and the castle was destroyed and left as a ruin.

Lochinver
(Gaelic Loch an Inbhir) Fishing village and resort at
the head of Loch Inver on the west coast ot Sutherland.
Glencanisp Forest, 4 miles southeast, has the mountain
Suilven, which towers impressively behind the village.

Loch Katrine
(Gaelic Loch Ceiteirein) Large loch in the Trossachs, 8 miles west of Callander. Since 1859 it has been the major source of water for Glasgow. It features in Sir Walter Scott’s poem ‘The Lady of the Lake’, with Ellen’s Isle at
its eastern end.

Loch Ken
Long narrow loch running southeast trom New Galloway, fed by the Water of Ken. The level of the loch was
raised in the 1930s to form part of the Galloway hydroelectric scheme. The lower part of the loch is also known as the River Dee, which flows from its southern end.

Loch Laggan
Long narrow loch to the southwest of Newtonmore; the Laggan Dam was built in 1926 to supply hydroelectric power to the aluminium works at Fort William. The area has been used by the BBC for the filming of the TV
series Monrach of the Glen.

Loch Laidon
Long narrow loch on the Rannoch Moor, running
southwest—northeast to near Rannoch Station on the West Highland Railway.

Loch Leven
Loch that runs 11 miles west from Kinlochleven to Loch Linnhe. A bridge now carries the road over the narrows
near its mouth, replacing the Ballachulish ferry.

Loch Leven
Loch on the east side of Kinross, noted for its brown
trout. It is a nature reserve. It has 7 islands; the medieval ruins of Lochleven Priory are on the largest island, St Serf’s; the ruined 15th century Lochleven Castle is on Castle Island. Mary, Queen of Scots was imprisoned here in 1567 but escaped in 1568 with the help of William Douglas. The level of the loch was raised in the 19th century to provide water power for the industries of the Leven Valley.

Loch Linnhe
Long sea loch that runs 22 miles southwest from Fort William to Mull. The southern end of the Caledonian
canal is at the head of the loch.

Loch Lochy
Loch in the Great Glen, in Lochaber, that runs 10 miles southwest from Laggan to Gairlochy. It forms part of the
Caledonian canal.

Loch Lomond
(Gaelic Loch Laomainn) Scotland’s largest loch, situated northwest of Glasgow, in the Loch Lomond and the
Trossachs National Park, it is also the largest area of inland water in Britain. It extends 24 miles north from Balloch to Ardlui. At its wider southern end there are some 30 wooded islands, many of which were inhabited in the 5th century by Irish missionaries. On Inchmurrin, the largest, St Mirren is believed to have founded a monastery in the 6th century and there are ruins of the 14th century castle of the earls of Lennox. lnchcailloch, owned by Scottish Natural Heritage, means ‘island of the old women’, leading to the belief that there was a nunnery there, though no trace has been found. It is the burial place of the MacGregors and the Macfarlanes.
Several of the islands lie along the Highland Boundary Fault. There are cruising and boating facilities and the southeast corner is a nature reserve. The West Highland Way long-distance path runs along the east bank. The Loch Lomond Golf Club is a championship course and is currently used for the annual Scottish Open.


Loch Long
Long, narrow, deep inlet of the Firth of Clyde that
extends 16 miles northeast from Kilcreggan at the southern end of the Rosneath peninsula to Arrochar. At Arrochar it is only 2 miles from Loch Lomond, and it was across this strip of land that the Vikings pulled their boats to raid central Scotland before the Battle of Largs.

Loch Long
Narrow loch in Wester Ross that runs into Loch Alsh
at Dornie.

Loch Loyal
(Gaelic Loch Laghail) Large loch in Caithness, 4 miles south of Tongue. Ben Loyal rises above its west side.

Loch Lubnaig
Narrow loch between Callander and Strathyre that is popular with anglers. It is drained by the River Leny, and
Ben Ledi towers above its western bank.

Loch Luichart
(Gaelic Loch Luicheart) Loch 6 miles west of Strathpeffer, Ross and Cmmarty. In the 1950s the level of the loch
was raised by a 65ft dam as part of an extensive hydroelectric scheme in the area. The village of Loehluiehart, its station and a stretch of railway had to be relocated at a higher level.

Loch Lyon
(Gaelic Loch Loibhunn) Isolated large loch at the head of Glen Lyon that is also a reservoir, part of a hydroelectric
scheme.

Lochmaben
Small town and ancient royal burgh in
Dumfries and Galloway 4 miles west of Lockerbie, surrounded by several small lochs. A handsome, spired tolbooth of 1723 and 1741 dominates the long triangular market place which forms the High Street. On the south shore of one of the lochs, Castle Loch, is ruined 13th century Lochmaben Castle, now in the care of Historic Scotland, which is said to have been the birthplace
of Robert the Bruce. This was the focal point of English control in southwest Scotland in the 14th century.

Lochmaddy
(Gaelic Loch na Madadh) Port and chief village of
North Uist, on the west shore of Loch na Madadh. It is the terminal for the vehicle and passenger ferry to Uig on Skye.

Loch Maree
(Gaelic Loch Ma-ruibh) Large loch near Gairloch, Wester Ross. Slopes contain the Beinn Eighe National Nature
Reserve and a fragment of the Caledonian forest. It has several islands, one of which, Isle Maree, held a cell of St Maelrubha.

Loch Melfort (or Melford) Sea loch on the Argyll coast,
opposite Luing, 11 miles south of Oban, with Kilmelfort
near its head, where there is good yacht anchorage.

Loch Monar
Remote loch to the east of Glen Carron in the northern Highlands. Now dammed to form a reservoir for a
hydroelectric scheme, it is surrounded by mountains, many of which are Munros.

Loch Morlich
Loch to the north of the Cairngorm mountains, to the east of Avlemore, it has a sandy beach at a height of over 985ft, and is very popular for watersports and walking.

Loch Muick (pronounced ‘mick’) Loch at the foot of Lochnagar, near Ballater, part of the Loch Muick and Lochnagar Wildlife Reserve, established by the royal Balmoral Estate.

Loch Mullardoch
A large, very remote loch, to the north of Glen Affric, surrounded by mountains many of which are Munros; it is now dammed as part of a hydroelectric scheme.

Lochnagar
(Gaelic Loch na gàire) Mountain ridge on the royal
Balmoral Estate, southeast of Braemar, the grandeur of which is noted in a poem by Lord Byron with the line The steep frowning glories of dark Lochnagar. The main Munro summit is Cac Carn Beag and there are several subsidiary
summits, including Cuidhe Crôm and Meikle Pap.

Loch nan Keal
Sea loch on the west coast of Mull, which at its east end is less than 3 miles from Salen, a village on the Sound
of Mull.

Loch nan Uamh
Sea loch and offshoot of the Sound of Arisaig between Arisaig and the peninsula of Ardnish, on the Lochaber
coast. Prince Charles Edward Stewart landed here in August 1745 at the beginning or his attempt to retrieve the British crowns, and it was from here that he left Scotland for ever in September 1746; the Prince’s Cairn, on the north coast of the Loch, marks the spot. In 1746 there was a naval battle in the loch when two French ships with supplies for the Jacobites were intercepted by Royal Navy frigates. The French escaped and gold they were carrying is said to have been carried inland to Loch
Arkaig where it still lies hidden.

Loch Ness
(Gaelic Loch Nis) Long, very deep loch running south-
west-northeast from Fort Augustus to the outskirts of
Inverness. It forms part of the Caledonian CanaL There have been reported sightings in the loch, especially since the 1930s, of a very large creature, known as the Loch Ness Monster (or Nessie); in spite of many investigations, no explanation has been found.

Loch Nevis
(Gaelic Loch Nibheis) Large sea loch between Knoydart and Morar, leading into the Sound of Sleat. On its north shore is the remote village of Inverie.

Loch of Harray
Large loch to the south of Dounby on Mainland Orkney. At its southern end it is separated from Loch of Stenness by a narrow tongue of land, on which stands the Ring
of Brodgar and a causeway.

Loch of Lowes
Small loch just to the northeast of Dunkeld. Ospreys nest there and can be viewed from the Observation Hide
at the Scottish Wildlife Trust’s wildlife reserve.

Loch of Stenness
Large loch on Mainland Orkney, to the northeast of Stromness. It is separated at its eastern end from the Loch of Harray by a narrow tongue of land.

Loch of the Lowes
Small loch that runs into the head of St Mary’s Loch in Ettrlck Forest.

Loch Oich
Narrow loch in the Great Glen, forming part of the
Caledonlan Canal, between the larger Loch Lochy and Loch Ness.

Lochore
Former mining town near Cowdenheath. Lochore Meadows Country Park o the southwest, is a recreation area on the north side of Loch Ore, formed by landscaping an area of mining dereliction.

Loch Ossian
Loch to the north ot the Moor of Rannoch, close to Corrour station. Corrour Shooting Lodge is at its northeastern end, and there is a Youth Hostel at its southwestern end.

Loch o’ the Lowes
Small loch one mile northwest of New Cumnock, Ayrshire.

Loch Pattack
(Gaelic Loch Patag) Small loch 7 miles south- west of Dalwhinnie, close to Ben Alder. It is drained by the River
Pattack, which flows north and then west into Loch Laggan.

Loch Quoich
(Gaelic Loch Cuaich) part of the Garry-Morriston
hydroelectric scheme in Inverness—shire. Built in the 1950s, the Ouoich Dam flooded many of the old settlements in the area, including Glen Quoich Lodge. A single-track road goes along the loch shore to Kinloch
Hourn on the west coast.

Loch Rannoch
(Gaelic Loch Raineach) Long narrow loch to the east of the Moor of Rannoch. At its western end on the River
Gaur is a large power station, part of the Tummel hydroelectric

Lochranza
Small village and resort at the north end of the Isand of Arran on Loch Ranza. Loch Ranza
means ‘loch of safe anchorage’, and Robert the Bruce landed here from Ireland in 1306 at the beginning of his campaign for independence from England. Lochranza Castle dates from early medieval times, but was probably reconstructed in the 16th century; in the care of Historic Scotland.

Loch Riddon
Sea loch leading into the Kyles of Bute from the north.

Loch Roag
(Gaelic Loch Rôg) Large sea loch on the northwest
coast of Lewis, with many islands. It is divided into Fast and West Loch Roag by the island of Bernera.

Loch Scavaig
Large sea loch on the south coast ot Skye, to the
south of the Cuillins.

Loch Scridain
Long sea loch on the west coast of Mull.

Loch Seaforth
Long narrow sea loch on the southeast coast of Lewis, which for part of its length forms the boundary between
Lewis and Harris, reaching a considerable distance inland.

Loch Shiel
(Gaelic Loch Seile) Running from Glenfinnan to Aeharacle, a narrow loch with splendid mountain scenery. On St Finan’s Isle in the loch is a ruined chapel. Prince Charles
Edward Stewart sailed up the loch in 1745 and raised his
standard at Glenfinnan.

Loch Sloy
(Gaelic Loch Sloidh) Near the north end of Loch Lomond, Loch Sloy has been greatly enlarged by one of the first hydroelectric schemes taking advantage of one of the highest rainfalls in Scotland.

Loch Snizort
Large sea loch on the northwest coast of Skye,
between the Trotternish and Vaternish peninsulas.

Loch Striven
Narrow, remote sea loch leading southwards to meet the east end of the Kyles of Bute. It has often been used
as a harbour for ships when they are not in commission.

Loch Sunart
(Gaelic Loch Suaineart) Long sea loch on the west
coast between Ardnamurchan and Morvern. It has fine oak woods on its northern shore.

Loch Sween
(Gaelic Loch Suain) Sea loch in Argyll, running parallel to the Sound of Jura, sooth of crinan. Castle Sween on
its eastern shore dates back to the 12th century; in the care of Historic Scotland, as are medieval chapels at Kilmory Knap and Keills, which contain outstanding West Highland sculptured grave slabs. The village of Tayvallich is near its northern end.

Loch Tay
(Gaelic Loch Tatha) Long loch in the central Highlands,
running southwest-northeast from Killin to Kenmore, and overlooked by Ben Lawers. Its irregular shape is due to displacement of the central part along the Loch Tay geological fault. There are the sites of at least 23 crannogs in the loch, and near Kenmore is the Scottish Crannog Centre.

Loch Torridon
(Gaelic Loch Toirbheartan) Large sea loch in Wester Ross, between Torridon and Applecross. It is split into 3 parts; Upper Loch Torridon is furthest inland, separated by a
narrow channel from Loch Shieldaig in the centre, with Loch Torridon proper extending to the open sea.

Loch Treig
Long, narrow loch to the north of Rannoch Moor. It is the main reservoir for the hydroelectric scheme which powers
the aluminium smelter at Fort William.

Loch Tulla
Loch in Argyll, near Bridge of Orchy, close to the main road through Glencoe; drained by the River Orchy.

Loch Tummel
(Gaelic Loch Teimheil) A long, narrow loch near Pitlochry; with the Clunie Dam at the east end, it forms part of
the Tummel hydroelectric power scheme. On a high point
near the east end is the Queen’s View, where Queen Victoria admired the scenery in 1866.

Loch Venachar
(Gaelic Loch Bheannchair) Loch in the Trossachs, near Aberfoyle, source of the River Teith, a renowned beauty spot, with a magnificent neo—classical sluice house by
James Bateman (1856—18599), part of Glasgow’s Loch Katrine water supply scheme.

Loch Voil
(Gaelic Loch Bheothail) Narrow loch in the Perthshire hills, to the west of Balquhidder.

Lochwinnoch
Small town, 12 miles southwest of Paisley, at the southwest end of Castle Semple Loch. Textile mills and bleachworks were set up in the late 18th century. Later industries included furniture-making and coopering. To the northwest of the Loch are the ruins of the Gothic Castle Semple Collegiate Church, in the care of Historic Scotland. The village is surrounded by the clyde Muirshiel Regional Park and nearby is a reserve of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.

Return To Lochs and Rivers



Tour Scotland
Tour Edinburgh
Tour Island Of Skye

Rent A Self Catering Hoilday Cottage In Scotland

Share This Tour Scotland Web Page

Top Destinations
Tour Europe