is situated on the left bank of the Teith, at the point crossed
by the bridge built in 1535 by Robert Spittal, tailor to James
IV. The town was once famous for its pistols and sporrans,
which were in great request by the clansmen of the Highlands.
Doune Castle, now in ruins, occupies a commanding position
on the Teith, at the point where it is joined by the Ardoch.
It is believed to have been built by Murdoch, 2nd duke of
Albany (d. 1425), and was sometimes a residence of the sovereigns,
among them James V. and Queen Mary.
nephew of Rob Roy held it for Prince Charlie, and it figures
in Scotts Waverley. It was the home of James Stewart, the
bonnie earl of Moray, murdered at Donibristle in Fife by the
earl of Huntly 1594. The braes of Doune were the scene of
the labors of James Smith the gricultural engineer, who was
also manager of the cotton mills established there in 1785.
On his farm Smith carried out his experiments in deep and
thorough draining, and also invented a reaping machine, the
subsoil plough and numerous other valuable appliances.