Tour Scotland
Home Page


Best Scottish Books



Fraserburgh, on the North coast of Aberdeenshire, takes its name from Sir Alexander Fraser, the ancestor of Lord Saltoun, whose seat, Philorth House, lies 2 miles to the south. Sir Alexander obtained for it in 1613 a charter as a burgh of royalty, and also in 1592 a charter for the founding of a university. This latter project, however, was not carried out, and all that remains of the building intended for the college is a three-storeyed tower. The old castlc of the Frasers on Kinnaird Head now contains a lighthouse and close by is the Wine Tower, with a cave below. Thi town cross is a fine structure standing upon a huge hexagon surmounted by a stone pillar 12 ft. high, ornamented by tle royal and Fraser arms.

The port was one of the leading stations of the herring fishery in the north of Scotland. During the herring season (June to September) the population used to increase by upwards of 10,000 persons. The fleet numbered more than 700 boats. The harbour, originally constructed as a refuge for British ships of war, is one of the best on the east coast, and has been improved by the widening of the piers and the extension of the breakwaters. It has an area of upwards of eight acres, is easy of access, and affords anchorage for vessels of every size.

Tour Scotland
Tour Edinburgh
Tour Island Of Skye

Rent A Self Catering Hoilday Cottage In Scotland

Share This Tour Scotland Web Page

Top Destinations
Tour Europe