in old Forfarshire, is situated on a height above the glen
through which the Gairie flows, 6 3/4 miles North West of
the town of Forfar. The staple industry used to be linenweaving.
The hand-loom lingered longer here than in any other place
Rev. Dr Alexander Whyte (b. 1837) and J. M. Barrie (b. 1860)
were natives, the latter having made the town famous under
the name of Thrums. The original Secession church, the kirk
of the Auld Lichts was founded in 1806 and rebuilt in 1893.
Kinnordy, was the birthplace of Sir Charles Lyell the geologist;
and Cortachy castle, a fine mansion in the Scottish Baronial
style, about 4 miles North, the seat of the Earl of Airlie.