Tour Scotland
Home Page

 

 


Inverary

Inverary

Inverary was rebuilt in the mid 18th century by the 3rd Duke of Argyll, after being burnt down in 1644 alongside the Castle. There is currently a tall ship moored at the pier of this town which seems to be used as a marine heritage centre, it definately adds to the charm of Inverary when viewed from the Eastern approach. The town of Inverary as seen in this engraving in the mid 1800s is small, consisting chiefly of one row of houses facing the Loch. The old town, situated on the north side of the bay, on the lawn before the Castle, being little better than an irregular straggling village, was rased when the site of the present one was chosen. The great support of Inverary is the herring-fishery of Loch Fyne, affording employment to the inhabitants and the neighborhood. Near the town is the Castle, the residence of the ancient family of Campbell, Dukes of Argyle ; it is a square pile of gothic architecture, with circular towers, and an embattled pavilion rising from the middle, a building which seems little in unison with the scenery in the midst of which it is placed.

Return To Scottish Trivia



Tour Scotland
Tour Edinburgh
Tour Island Of Skye

Rent A Self Catering Hoilday Cottage In Scotland

Share This Tour Scotland Web Page

Top Destinations
Tour Europe