Tour Scotland
Home Page

 

 


Torthorwald Castle

Torthorwald Castle

Torthorwald Castle is a stone motte and bailey fortress, with a 14th century keep built on the motte. Both the basement and first floor hall of this oblong keep are vaulted and in one corner is a turnpike stair to access the upper floors. The earlier earthworks surrounding the ruined keep have considerable ramparts and wet ditches. The original entrance was probably on the first floor. The walls at the base are quite thick, but they have noticeable seams and are topped by a thinner wall, as if the design was changed during construction. This seems to be a common theme, as if they have grand plans to start, but over the years of construction (and the castle passing from hand to hand) diminished the coffers and changes were made to the plan. The crumbling tower rises to about 60'. The tower was the property of the Torthorwald family in the 13th century, and was the center of the still-existing village of Torthorwald. The lands passed to the Kirkpatricks, then to Carlyles in 1418. In 1544, Lord Carlyle sacked the castle in a raid against his sister-in-law. The property passed by marriage to the Douglases of Parkhead in 1609. It has obviously been abandoned for a long time, and grass is growing pretty well on the upper wall.

Return To Scottish Trivia



Tour Scotland
Tour Edinburgh
Tour Island Of Skye

Rent A Self Catering Hoilday Cottage In Scotland

Share This Tour Scotland Web Page

Top Destinations
Tour Europe