Craigellachie Hotel of Speyside, Speyside, Banffshire, Banff AB38 9SR, Scotland. Victorian country house hotel built in 1893; situated 12 miles south of Elgin; located at the heart of the Malt Whisky Trail. Find the best deal, compare prices and read what other travelers have to say at TripAdvisor.
red-sandstone cliffs sweep down to sheltered sandy coves and
rocky outcrops, where thousands of sea birds flock together.
Scattered farmsteads and fishing villages border the fertile
land by Moray Firth, known as the 'Granary of the North'. The
Spey's soft, peaty waters supply a host of malt whisky distilleries,
and its rocky pools are alive with salmon and brown trout.
Agricultural Museum, a mile east of Archiestown, displays horse-drawn
vehicles, distinctive farm tools.
tower built in 1655. Bell tolls to summon locals to church and
to warn of danger.
of clan chief 'Edom o Gordon' in 16th century tops ancient earthworks.
Its corner-stones were taken for use in Balvenie Castle nearby.
motte of 12th century over-looks scene of 1645 Civil War skir-mish.
Restored dovecote on castle mound provides views of Black Isle.
Remains of medieval Rait Castle stand nearby.
Pillars, naturally eroded from red sandstone, stand on steep
hillside near River Spey.
Moat surrounds bold, 13th-century castle ruin, noted for its
high stone walls and double iron gates. Triumphant Jacobite
troops returned here in 1689 after the Battle of Killiecrankie.
portraits line walls of battlemented tower house built in 1567.
Ornate plaster ceiling of flowers and fruit in dining room.
moor at Cluny to sell their catches. Chapel dedicated to fishermen
who died at sea. Maritime museum illustrates local fishing industry.
general store has original shop fittings dating from the 1920s.
Telford's cast-iron bridge of 1815 spans River Spey.
deer and capercaillie inhabit forest and salt marsh along coast.
Picnic areas near dunes, which cover old village of Culbin.
geese, terns inhabit shingle bars along coast. Predatory birds
scout acres of salt marsh where waders sift the mud. Stone-crops
and lichens thrive on Nairn Old Bar to the west, as well as
heathers, crowberries and gorse.
village on two levels, divided by disused viaduct. Distant Sutherland
peaks present panorama from Bin Hill. Foot-bridge leads to golf
course and 'Three Kings' rock formations.
on River Lossie. US vice-president George Mifflin Dallas, a
descendant of Dallas family which owned the village, gave his
name to the Texas city in 1845.
distillery housed in a Victorian building offers guided tours,
videos of whisky making. Impressive shop display of 200 different
Farm Visitor Centre
farm tools contrast with a modern dairy viewed from elevated
walkway. Afternoon trips explore Darnaway forest and castle.
The latter is noted for its magnificent medieval hammer-beam
roof in the hall.
church ruin bears inscription of founder, Alexander Ogilvy of
Deskford, dated 1551.
tower crowns restored castle, built by Duff family in Victorian
era. Guided tours of castle and grounds available.
Fiddich and Dullan Water converge here. Town clock tower houses
museum and information centre. Glenfiddich distillery was founded
of Duffus Castle, rebuilt of stone in 14th century, stands on
a Norman mound. The sounds of modern fighter planes are heard
from RAF Lossiemouth.
featuring remains of Elgin Cathedral, burned by 'Wolf of Badenoch'
in 1390. Pictish symbols survive on Celtic cross slab in choir.
Old oatmeal mill on River Lossie dates from 13th century. Elgin
village of this name; storms buried first one with sand in 17th
century while flooding swamped second in 1701. Sea birds feed
in tidal bay and organic vegetables flourish at Findhorn Foundation,
path to ruins of cliff-side castle, built by Ogilvy family in
medieval times and inhabited until about 16011. Crescent-shaped
Sunnyside Beach to the west.
lower part envelops sandy cove, from which footpath leads to
Portknockie. Upper part's skyline dominated by church.
village designed in 18th century. Horse-drawn vehicles, model
engines re-create past at folk museum, housed in old church.
of 16th century lies at heart of conservation village. Impressive
canopied tombs housed in small church.
town among hills. Buildings of many periods include 15th-century
market cross and a 19th-century tolbooth. Steep path leads to
battlemented 7Oft Nelson Tower, which provides views of Moray
Firth. Walks south explore riverside and woodland trails. Forres
distillery supplied by soft, peaty water from Grampian Hills.
Guided tours, exhibitions/displays explain whisky-making process.
village, now water sports and fishing centre. Pleasure boats
moor at harbour, village itself is set on slope away from sea.
fishing at this meeting place of the rivers Bugle and Deveron.
A 17th-century heraldic carving stands over the main door of
Huntly Castle, set in lush park-land by Deveron Gorge.
Brig o' Keith' over River lsla, built 1609, links medieval Old
Keith and New Keith (1750) to Fife Keith (1817). Milton Distillery,
now Strathisla, of 1785, is Scot-land's oldest operating malt
pine forests supplied timber to these two once-flourishing sailing-ship
building centres on the River Spey in the 18th and early 19th
centuries. Sea birds flock to coastline. Coastal path by sand
and shingle beach leads 7 miles west to Lossiemouth.
fishing port, with sandy beaches good for bathing. Fisheries
and Community Museum at harbour includes story of James Ramsay
MacDonald (1886-1937), born here, who became Prime Minister
in 1924. A 4 mile walk inland leads to ruins of Palace of Spynie,
15th-century fortress of Bishops of Moray. Good fishing at both
riverside and seashore.
oatmeal mill, built 19th century, stands beside River Isla.
church stands on an ancient site, founded by St Moluag in 6th
century. Pictish stone in the churchyard records Danish defeat.
services still take place in abbey founded in 1230 by Alexander
II. Badly damaged in 14th century and had fallen into ruin by
1560, but was restored in 1948 by Benedictines.
Gollachy ice house, relic of salmon industry, and where fish
were once stored, stands on shore of this 18th-century harbour.
Dovecote surviving from now-vanished castle nearby can be seen
Cave' on shore was church in 19th century. Foundations of 7th-century
Pictish fort perched on promontory overlooking harbour. Cliff-top
path to west provides views of the Black Isle.
Findhorn runs through a deep, spectacular sandstone chasm at
Randolph's Leap. Beech, larch and oak shade woodland paths above
gorge. Floodstones are reminders of the storms of 1829, when
waters rose 5Oft.
18th-century chapel; perhaps oldest post-Reformation Catholic
church still in use.
30 mile walk follows fishermen's trails and old railway south.
Ospreys fish in river near Fochabers. A marked and well-maintained
pathway leads to Ballindalloch.
of steeply angled hillsides hold the turbulent waters of River
Findhorn in check, like a bridle on a mettlesome horse -- Gaelic
srian means 'bridle'. Grouse moors overlook the Tirfogrean
Gully, eroded by swirling currents. Scattered farms are those
that survived flooding in 1829.
of warriors and corpses embellish this 23ft monolith east of
Forres. It was carved by the Picts around AD 900. Witches' Stone
a't foot of Cluny Hill nearby marks the place where women accused
of practising witchcraft were put to death.
paths, called Winding Walks, span stretch of woodland east of
Fochabers. Hill's summit provides views of Fochabers and lower
If you would like to visit this area as part of a highly personalized
small group tour of my native Scotland please e-mail me: