Tour Scotland
Home Page

 

Tour Balhousie Castle

Black Watch Books

Black Watch Museum


Tour Balhousie Castle

Balhousie, in North Perth, is not a true castle, although it does incorporate a 16th century towerhouse. It is a large mansion built in 1860. Balhousie served as the seat of the Earls of Kinnoul, and overlooks the North Inch of Perth. The Hay arms appear on one wall, and a skewputt on another is dated 1631. The main block basement has two cellars and a kitchen without the usual connecting passage. The wing contains a wide stair from the entrance to the hall. A stair to a third story and attic in the main block are later additions.

The tower was held by the Eviot family until 1478, when it was sold to the Mercers, and later passed to the Hays, who owned it in 1631.

In 1962, it became the regimental headquarters and museum of the Black Watch. The museum spans three stories within the castle, and one wing serves as offices for the regiment's officers. Like many of the Highland Regiment museums, this one contained keepsakes, medals, campaign pennants, and other memorabilia from the regiment, which was founded in 1739. Many believe that the regiment was named for the distinctive dark tartan (or sett) that they wear. However, it is likely that they were called the "Black Watch" because the word for black, dhu, also means 'hidden' or 'covert', and may refer to their task to spy on the Jabobite rebels.

Return To Historic Attractions



Tour Scotland
Tour Edinburgh
Tour Island Of Skye

Rent A Self Catering Hoilday Cottage In Scotland

Share This Tour Scotland Web Page

Top Destinations
Tour Europe