Dundee Hotel Deals
Find the best deal, compare prices and read what other travelers have to say at TripAdvisor
Travelodge Dundee Central, West Marketgait, Dundee, Tayside, DD1 1NJ, Scotland. Find the best deal, compare prices and read what other travelers have to say at TripAdvisor.
sits on the north side of the Firth of Tay, eighteen miles east
of Perth, a former royal burgh, it grew into a major port and
commercial and industrial centre, and became known for the three
is: jute, jam and journalism, only the last of which is still
a major employer. In the 18th century the linen industry developed
rapidly, specialising in coarse linen and sailcloth. From the
1830s jute was imported from India and after 1850 became a major
industry. Cox’s Stack by James Maclaren (1865), in the
western suburb of Lochee, is the finest factory chimney ever
built in Scotland, a relic of the Camperdown Works, once the
largest jute factory in the world.
was also important, and Captain Scott’s polar
research ship Discovery, which was built here, is now back in
the city at the old ferry terminal, with the Discovery Point
Visitor Centre. Docked a short distance away is the Unicorn,
a Royal Navy frigate built in 1824.
town was a major centre of the whaling industry, the oil being
used in the ‘batching’ (softening) of jute to prepare
for spinning, but the trade failed to survive the
transition to factory ships and catchers in the 20th century.
Keillers of Dundee pioneered the manufacture of marmalade here,
but during the 19th century moved the bulk of their operations
to London, keeping only a nominal capacity to make marmalade
and jam in Dundee.
Thomson continues to be a major producer of newspapers and popular
magazines, including the Sunday Post and the long-lasting comics,
the Beano and the
Dandy. Its headquarters is a magnificent Edwardian building
by Niven Ft Wigglesworth, with sculpture by Albert Hodge. Much
of the town centre was replanned by William Burn in 1824 and
again in the 1870s by William Mackison, inspired by Baron Haussmann’s
work in Paris. St Paul’s Episcopal Cathedral by Sir George
Gilbert Scott (1853-5), with its 210ft tall spire, is on the
site where the castle once stood. The 15th century St Mary’s
steeple is all that remains of a very large medieval burghal
Dundee was recovered from English control by Robert I in
1312. One of the 3 most important medieval royal burghs, it
suffered a setback in the 1540s, when a major English garrison
held Broughty Ferry Castle and raided Tayside. It took even
longer to recover from the storming, massacre and sack of 1651
at the hands of the English General Monck. It was strongly Jacobite
in the 1715 Rising, much less so in the 1745. The jute industry
was low-wage and woman-dominated making Dundee a unique town
with a poor female proletariat and high male unemployment. Restructuring
after 1945 was necessarily traumatic, but new light industries
and extensive slum clearance have dramatically improved it.
Winston Churchill was
Liberal MP for Dundee from 1908-22.
The city has several museums and an art gallery, the
McManus Galleries, formerly the Albert Institute, a memorial
to Prince Albert by Sir George Gilbert Scott (1865). The Mills
Observatory on Balgay Hill is Britain’s only full-time
The Dundee Rep Theatre, established in 1939, is home to Scotland’s
only full-time theatre company, and now an excellent theatre
by Nicoll Russell (1982); associated with it is the Scottish
Dance Theatre. Dundee Contemporary Arts has galleries, cinemas
and other cultural and educational provisions in
a large modern building by Richard Murphy in the Nethergate.
The Verdant Works is a restored 19th-century jute works. At
571 ft the highest point in the city is Dundee Law, the remains
of a volcanic plug and the site of an Ifon Age vitrified fort.
At its top is the city’s war memorial with a beacon that
is lit 4 times a year. Camperdown, now a well-equipped public
park, was once the estate of the Earls of Camperdown. Admiral
Adam Duncan, 1st Viscount Camperdown, defeated the
Dutch fleet at the Battle of Camperdown off the Dutch coast
on 11 October 1797. His son built the neo-Greek Camperdown House,
designed by William Burn, in 1824-8; it is now used as a function
venue, golf club and café. Other parks include the centrally
situated Dudhope Park, the grounds of Dudhope Castle, and Sir
Joseph Paxton’s Baxter Park (1863), to the east of the
city. Claypotts Castle stands at the north eastern edge of Dundee.
Captain James Fairweather Whaler and Shipmaster: His Life and Career 1853-1933. Presents an account of the career and life of Captain James Fairweather (1853-1933). This work talks about his fifty-two years at sea in the Dundee Whaling Fieet, mercantile marine, war service, and in command of 'discovery' for the Shackleton Relief Expedition 1916. Captain James Fairweather Whaler and Shipmaster: His Life and Career 1853-1933.
St. Andrew's Parish Church, King Street, Dundee, Scotland.
Trades' Kirk with interesting history, dating from 1774 with plans by James Craig, Edinburgh. Beautiful stained glass. Includes Glasite Kirk, 1777, now part of church hall complex. Handsome spire with set of fine musical bells.
Next to Wellgate Shopping Centre.
All Souls Invergowrie Dundee Church, Main Street, Invergowrie Dundee, Scotland.
Red sandstone church with 140 ft spire, designed by Hippolyte Blanc, 1890. High altar has beautiful Italian marble reredos and crucifix.
Dundee Parish Church St Mary’s, Nethergate, Dundee, Scotland.
Founded 1190 by Earl of Huntingdon. Rebuilt 1844 by William Burn. Beautiful 19th & 20th century stained glass windows. 1914-18 war memorial. Impressive organ installed 1865. Reading desk with interesting history. Welcomers on duty. North of Discovery Point and
St Paul's Episcopal Cathedral, 1 High Street, Dundee, Scotland. Castlehill,
Designed by Gilbert Scott, the Cathedral stands on the site of Dundee's ancient Castle. Gothic in style, but Gothic with a difference. Tall, graceful columns give an impression of lightness and airiness. Welcomers on duty. East end of High Street at junction with Commercial Street. Walking distance from rail and bus stations.
St. Salvador's Church, Church Street, Dundee, Scotland.
Built in 1868 to a design by G. F. Bodley. Glorious painted interior. Carnegie Street end of Church Street, of Hilltown.
Stobswell Parish Church, Albert Street, Dundee, Scotland.
On a prominent site, the 1876 buildings have undergone extensive refurbishment. Fine stained glass windows by William Wilson.
The Steeple Church, Nethergate, Dundee, Scotland. Entry through 15th century St Mary's Tower, a landmark and known as Old Steeple. Church building dates from 1788, Samuel Bell..
To Tour Perth And Dundee