Helensburgh Hotel Deals
Find the best deal, compare prices and read what other travelers have to say at TripAdvisor
History of Helensburgh. In 1802, the proprietor of the new town, James the 25th Laird of Colquhoun, obtained a Charter elevating the village to a Burgh of Barony. Helen's Burgh, so named after Helen Sutherland, the wife of the 24th Laird, was born. This book marks the bicentenary of that event and traces the development of Helensburgh from the eighteenth century hamlet of Milligs to today's thriving and attractive town. Includes Helensburgh archaeology,
the origin of Helensburgh street names, Helensburgh
architecture and art, Helensburgh
religion and education. 200 Years of Helensburgh.
Charles Rennie MacIntosh most famously, designed Hill House, for publisher Walter Blackie, at Helensburgh, Scotland.
Clan Colquhoun takes its name from the lands of Colquhoun in the county of Dunbarton. These lands were granted to Humphrey of Kilpatrick by Malcolm, Earl of Lennox, in the time of Alexander II. Sir Robert Kilpatrick, of Colquhoun, married the daughter of the laird of Luss,
and since then the chief has been described as of Colquhoun and Luss.
About 1602 a desperate battle was fought between the Colquhouns and the MacGregors. After a conference between the two clans the Colquhouns hoped to trap the MacGregors in Glenfruin, but their intention was anticipated by Alastair MacGregor of Glenstrae, and
after a bloody conflict the Colquhouns were signally defeated and their chief killed. In revenge they made a dramatic representation to the King and the Clan Gregor was proscribed and their name forbidden under pain of death.
Sir John Colquhoun (c. 1621-1676), known as the " Black Cock of the West," was a man of ability and learning who took a prominent part in public affairs and was a member of the first parliament after the Restoration. Sir Humphrey, 18th chief, surrendered his baronetcy for a new grant to himself and his daughter and his son-in-law James Grant, of Pluscarden, with a condition preventing the clan name and estates passing to the Grants of Grant. Owing to this provision two Grants in succession had to resign the estates which then passed to a younger son of James Grant from whom the present Luss family are descended.
Helensburgh Toffee Company. Producer of traditional Scottish confectionery. Delivering the authentic taste of Scottish toffee, fudge, tablet, and macaroon.
Helensburgh Golf Club. With stunning views over the Clyde Estuary towards Arran and across Loch Lomond towards the Trossachs, Helensburgh is convenient for Glasgow and Central Scotland.
Old Helensburgh, Rhu and Shandon. Helensburgh was planned as a new town by Sir James Colquhoun of Luss, and its streets were laid out in the late eighteenth century. The area's outstanding scenery and clean air attracted wealthy Glasgow merchants to the town, who built villas there overlooking the Clyde and Gare Loch. For well over a century, until after the Second World War, Helensburgh thrived as a seaside resort. Pictures of the Waverley at Craigendoran Pier, sandcastle building competitions, throngs enjoying the outdoor swimming pool, and a horse-drawn excursion on Sinclair Street show the town in its heyday, while half a dozen photographs cover neighbouring Rhu and Shandon. Old Helensburgh, Rhu and Shandon.