Kilmartin Hotel Deals
Find the best deal, compare prices and read what other travelers have to say at TripAdvisor
Kilmartin is at the head of Kilmartin Glen, an area with one of the richest concentrations of prehistoric monuments and historical sites in Scotland. These include important Neolithic, Bronze Age and Iron Age sites, including Temple Wood (a henge monument), several burial cairns, chambered cairns, standing stones and cup and ring marked rocks. Kilmartin Museum, which interprets the monuments of the area for visitors, and has a selection of excavated artefacts of various periods, is located within the village within a group of converted buildings. Kilmartin's is one of the finest concentrations of prehistoric sites in Scotland, and almost all are within an easy walk of the roads which criss-cross the valley. One of the burial cairns has been rebuilt, with access through an opening in the top down stairs to the base of the cairn and a stone burial cist. The two stone circles in Temple Wood have also been re-erected by archaeologists. The village also has a hotel, craft shop and public toilets. The churchyard has an important collection of early Christian and medieval carved stones. Some are displayed within the parish church itself, others have been gathered into lapidaria within the graveyard, others still remain lying within it. The two most important monuments are the Kilmartin crosses, one 9th to 10th century, the other late medieval in date, within the church. In the churchyard are a large collection of late medieval gravestones in the 'West Highland' style, dating between the 14th and early 16th centuries. Many are marked by figures of warriors in contemporary dress with spears and swords, along with figures of fantastic animals, foliage and interlace patterns. None are inscribed, so the identities of the persons commemorated are unknown. They can, however, be taken to be the monuments of the local landowning or minor noble class in late medieval times. Kilmartin Church was evidently an important burial site, and the graveslabs of the 'Loch Awe school' of carving may have been carved in a workshop at or near Kilmartin.
Dunchraigaig Cairn, A denuded Bronze Age cairn; originally covered three burial cists containing inhumed and cremated human bones. Located one and a half miles south of Kilmartin, on Lochgilphead road.
Glebe Cairn. When excavated in 1864 the cairn, built entirely of stones, was found to contain two cists. One cist was lined with boulders and covered by a slab; the second was made entirely of slabs. This latter contained a beaker and a necklace of jet beads. Early second millennium B C. Located at Kilmartin Glebe.
Ri Cruin Cairn, A despoiled burial cairn of the Bronze Age originally covering three stone cists. Axe figures are engraved on one of the cist slabs. Located one mile south-south-west of Kilmartin, Argyll, Scotland.
Nether Largie Cairns. North Cairn is the northernmost of three cairns erected at the side of an ancient trackway and covering a central burial cist with large capstone bearing cup marks and representations of flat copper axe heads; c. 1800-1600 b.c.
Mid Cairn is a despoiled cairn, one of a line of three built at the side of an ancient trackway, and originally containing two burial cists constructed of stone slabs, grooved and adorned with cup-and-ring marks; c. 1800-1500 B.C.
South Cairn is a fine example of a megalithic chambered cairn of the Clyde type with segmented cist. The long narrow cist is well preserved, dating back to the third millennium b.c.
Located half a mile south-west of Kilmartin, Argyll, Scotland.
Temple Wood Stone Circle, a circle of upright stones, now much reduced in number, with a burial cist at the centre; probably early second millennium b.c. Located one mile south-west of Kilmartin, Argyll, Scotland.
To Tour Argyll