Tour Scotland
Home Page


Lundin Links Standing Stones

The Standing Stones are a scheduled Bronze Age ancient monument dating from 2000 - 1500 BC. The monument is of national importance as a highly visible example of an early prehistoric ritual site and is situated on the second fairway, approximately 700 metres to the west of the clubhouse, in an area rich in archaeological remains. It is thought that a V shaped jet button came from the site. Early 18th century reports note the discoveries of several possible cist burials.

There are three tall, unsculptured and irregularly shaped pillars of red sandstone, which form the most impressive group of Standing Stones in Fife. The Lundin Ladies Standing Stones may be part of the circumference of a once compete circle.

Several functions have been proposed for Standing Stones, varying from boundary markers to Burial memorials. A stone lined grave was discovered near the Lundin Ladies stones in 1844, suggesting the latter interpretation. In the past they have been referred to as the burial stones of Danish Chiefs.

In the late eighteenth century the base of a fourth stone was present, with its broken upper part lying nearly. Unfortunately the position of this fourth stone has been lost. The three surviving stones are set in the form of a triangle, the angles of which would fall up on the circumference of a circle with a diameter of 16 metres.

Although it is not the highest, the one on the south east, which stands with with a slight inclination towards the north and the east, presents the most massive appearance. The girth at the base is 3.9 metres but measurements taken 1.5 metres from from the ground give the following dimensions:- north face, 1.6metres - south face. l.5 metres - east face, 0.6 metres - west face, 0.7 metres and girth 4.3 metres. The stone becomes even wider as its height increases until near the top where it shrinks very slightly. The approximate height is 4.2 metres. The surface is pitted by the continual action of wind and weather and shows the greatest traces of decay on the east where a crack has developed.

The south stone is set with a decided inclination towards the south. It has a girth at the base of 2.8 metres expanding to 3 metres, 1.5 metres above the the ground and then suddenly becoming thinner at the top. It is approximated 4.6 metres high. This stone does not seem to have weathered as badly as the south east stone.

The north stone is set with a slight inclination to the west and approximately 5.1 metres in height, with a sharply pointed top. It shows evidence of weathering at the  north east corner. Like the other two stones it increases in bulk from the base upwards to the middle, with the girth being 2.9 metres at the base and 3.1 metres, 1.5 metres from the ground.

Return To Tour Lundin Links



Tour Scotland
Tour Edinburgh
Tour Island Of Skye

Rent A Self Catering Hoilday Cottage In Scotland

Share This Tour Scotland Web Page

Top Destinations
Tour Europe