Tour South Lanarkshire
South Lanarkshire Hotel Deals
Find the best deal, compare prices and read what other travelers have to say at TripAdvisor
Blantyre, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. Blantyre is distinguished by having been the birthplace of Dr David Livingstone.
Boghall Castle, Biggar, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. Only a small part of the castle remains; it was situated to the south of the town in marshland. It was at one time the seat of the Fleming family, protectors of the royal burgh of Biggar.
Bothwell Castle was built in the 13th Century by the family de Moravia, later Murray, and is one of the largest
and finest stone castles in Scotland, with a handsome round stone keep. Bothwell, South Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Cadzow Castle. Set in the High Parks area to the south of the town of Hamilton, above the river Avon, the castle is surrounded by tall oak trees which are thought to have witnessed the rites of the Druids. Hamilton South Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Carnwath Castle, Carnwath, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. Now nothing but a ruin of which only the moat and the extent of the inner and outer courts can be traced. It is thought to have been built by the Douglas family in the 12th Century, and became the property of the powerful Somerville family in 1317 when William Somerville married Janet Douglas and received the lands of Carnwath and the Castle of Corthally or Carnwath. Until 1602 the Somervilles. with their seat at Corthally, were one of the most powerful families in Scotland. King James III, IV and VI all visited the castle, which was famous for its excellent hunting and lavish hospitality.
Coulter Motte Hill, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. A good example of an early medieval castle mound, originally moated and probably surmounted by a palisade enclosing a timber tower.
Craignethan Castle in South Lanarkshire, Scotland, is one of the great artillery fortresses of Renaissance Europe. Its builder, Sir James Hamilton of Finnart, had travelled in France and Italy studying developments in military architecture.
Crawford Castle is a ruined castle on the bank of the River Clyde which was last occupied at the end of the 18th Century when it was destroyed and much of the masonry used to build the present house.
In the graveyard at Leadhills, South Lanarkshire, Scotland, is the gravestone of John Taylor who is reputed to have died in 1770, aged 137 years.
New Lanark, the former cotton spinning village in the valley of the River Clyde near the old town of Lanark, is of international importance as the locus of pioneering management, and social and educational experiments led by the reformer who made it famous.
St. Bride's Church, Douglas, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. All that remains of this church is the unaisled choir and the south side of the nave. The choir contains three fine altar-tombs of the great Douglas family, whose principal shrine this was. These monuments, which, with the choir' itself, have been restored, commemorate the "Good Sir James", Bruce's paladin; Archibald, fifth Earl of Douglas and "James the Gross", seventh Earl, with his lady. Some loose fragments of the pre-existing Norman church are extant.
The ruins of Strathaven Castle, also called Avondale Castle, in South Lanarkshire sit on a prominent rocky mound above the well preserved conservation village that shares its name, near the Powmillan Burn that flows towards the Water of Avon a short distance away.
Symington Epitaph, South Lanarkshire, Scotland.