Find the best deal, compare prices and read what other travelers have to say at TripAdvisor.
is a historic town
on the River Forth, in a
strategic position to the northeast of Glasgow
and to the
northwest of Edinburgh,
controlling access by land from the Lowlands to the Highlands,
not least because it was the lowest bridging point on the Forth
until comparatively recent times. The medieval
bridge, dating from the late 15th or early 16th century,
now a footbridge in the care of Historic Scotland, can still
be seen to the north of the modern bridge; in 1905 the remains
of an earlier wooden bridge were found a little upstream.
Tour Mysterious Stirlingshire Scotland.
former royal burgh and county town of Stirlingshire,
it is now the administrative centre of Stirling local authority.
The old town is on a steep volcanic rock crowned by Stirling
Castle. In medieval and early modern times it was one of
the main royal residences. The principal buildings comprise
the Great Hall, completed in 1503 and recently restored; the
Palace, built 1537-52; and the Chapel Royal, built in 1594.
During the 14th-century Wars of Independence, the Castle was
twice captured by the English and recaptured, first by William
in 1297 after the Battle of Stirling
it was the last stronghold to capitulate to Edward I in 1304
and was retrieved by Robert
in 1314 after the Battle
is commemorated in the National Wallace Monument, a tall baronial
tower on Abbey Craig to the northeast.
Queen of Scots
was crowned in the Castle as an infant in 1543 and James
VI was baptised there, as was his first born son, Prince
Henry. From the 18th century until the 1950s Stirling was an
army base, with a garrison in the Castle and a depot beside
the railway. Much medieval and 17th and 18th century building
survives in the town. The 15th and 16th century Church
of the Holy Rude, where James VI was crowned, was
divided into two in the 17th century, much altered in the 19th,
further restored in the 20th, being reunited as one church in
the 19305. Mar’s Wark is the remains of a mansion built
1570—72 by the Earl of Mar, Regent for James VI.
Lodging is a well-preserved Renaissance town house at the top
of Castle Wynd, begun in 1630 by Sir William Alexander, Earl
of Stirling, and completed in 1666 by the 9th Earl of ArgyIl.
In 1799 it became a military hospital and later a youth hostel;
now in the care of Historic Scotland. Cowane’s Hospital
was built in the mid 17th century as an almshouse, designed
by John Mylne; it was converted for use as a Guildhall in 1852;
it is now used for music and arts events. The Old High School
was converted and extended to become the Stirling Highland Hotel.
Tolbooth or Town House in Broad Street was built 1703 to 1705
to a design by Sir William Bruce; it is now used as a venue
for music and arts events. The Old Town Jail (1845-1847, by
Thomas Brown Junior) was restored as a visitor centre in the
1990s, giving a vivid picture of prison life then and now.
Stirling developed in the 19th century as an industrial and
commercial centre, alongside the railway, and has handsome and
substantial Victorian suburbs, notably in the King’s Park
area. The Smith Art Gallery and Museum by John Lessels (1871—1874),
in classical style, was founded by the painter and collector
Thomas Stewart Smith. Cambuskenneth Abbey is nearby.
The Battle of Stirling
The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
Salute from Stirling Castle
Aberfoyle is a village in the region of Stirling,
Lomond, Trossachs, Stirling and... Clackmannan Walks.
the Bruce: A Scots Life (Scots... Scots Legends)
Lomond to Stirling (Landscape... Fashioned by Geology)
and Central Scotland (Pevsner... Guide)
Girls: Towards a Women's... History of Stirling.