Stirlingshire Hotel Deals
Find the best deal, compare prices and read what other travelers have to say at TripAdvisor
Stirlingshire and Central Scotland Buildings. From Stirling Castle to the tower houses of Clackmannan, from the colleries and shipyards to the Millennium Wheel at Falkirk, the buildings of Stirling and Central Scotland reflect the divisions between the Scottish Highlands and the Scottish Lowlands, between rural and industrial Scotland. Stirling and Central Scotland (Pevsner Buildings of Scotland).
The Guide to Mysterious Stirlingshire, Scotland. A guide to everything supernatural, paranormal, folkloric, eccentric and, above all, mysterious that has occurred in the Scottish county of Stirlingshire. It features entries covering Stirlingshire's historic sites, ruins, churches, tombstones and archaeological curiosities. The Guide to Mysterious Stirlingshire.
Old Bridge of Allan and Blairlogie. Among the subjects featured here are horse-drawn trams, Bridge of Allan Station, Causewayhead, Wallace Monument, The White Bridge, various villas and hotels, Henderson Street, Fountain Road, U.F.Church, St.Helens School, the meal mill, Keir House, Airthrey Castle and finally a number of pictures feature the tiny village of Blairlogie. Old Bridge of Allan and Blairlogie.
Buchanan Castle is a large house in Stirlingshire, Scotland, and serves today as the seat of the Clan Graham. Located west of the village of Drymen, the house was built by the 4th Duke of Montrose in 1854. The original structure, the ancestral seat of the Clan Buchanan, had burned down in 1852, and Montrose commissioned William Burn to replace it. Burn designed an extravagant manor in the Scottish baronial style, enclosing an L-plan tower in a clutch of turrets, bartizans and stepped gables. This new house would replace Mugdock Castle as the official seat of the Clan Graham.
Cambuskenneth Abbey is one of the most famous of Scottish monastic houses, and the scene of Bruce's important Parliament in 1326. Here James III and his Queen are buried. The abbey was founded in 1147 by David I as a house of Augustinian Canons regular. The fine detached tower survives complete, but of the church and conventual buildings little save the foundations is now to be seen. The abbey is beautifully situated on the links of the Forth.
Situation. Located one mile east of Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland.
Gargunnock Parish Church, Manse Brae, Gargunnock.
Situated in very beautiful rural location. Village church on pre-Reformation foundation, built 1774, renovated 1872. Three individual outside stairs to three separate lairds' lofts. Located five miles West of Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland.
Holy Trinity Church, Dumbarton Road, Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland.
One of Sir Rowand Anderson's most distinctive churches, 1878, close to Stirling Castle, Old Town and shops. Very close to town centre.
The Parish Church, Keir Street, Bridge of Allan, Stirlingshire, Scotland.
Built in 1860 and enlarged later, the church contains chancel furnishings designed in 1904 by the eminent Scottish architect, Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The church has an attractive timber roof and excellent stained glass windows.
The Church of the Holy Rude, St John Street, Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland. The original parish kirk of Stirling, used for the coronation in 1567 of James VI, at which John Knox preached. Largely built in 15th and 16th centuries. Medieval open-timbered oak roof in nave. Choir and apse added 1555, the work of John Coutts, one of the greatest master
masons of the later middle ages. Notable stained glass. Fine pipe organ, recently restored. Oak choir stalls and canopies, 1965. Welcomers on duty. Historic graveyard. Near to Stirling Castle.
Historic Kilsyth. This survey provides an accessible and broad-ranging synthesis of existing knowledge on historic Kilsyth, as well as offers conservation guidance for future development. The historic town of Kilsyth developed from a small medieval town set between its castle and parish church to become a burgh of barony in 1620. Its many historic buildings and ruins tell of its colourful history, including the destruction of its castle by Oliver Cromwell in 1650. It later expanded in the industrial period, becoming a centre of the textile industry, and later with the construction of the Forth and Clyde canal it was important for coal mining and quarrying. Historic Kilsyth: Archaeology and Development (Scottish Burgh Surveys).
Mar's Wark, is a quaint Renaissance mansion with an ornate gatehouse, enriched with sculptures, heraldic bearings, and humorous rhyming inscriptions. It was built by the Regent Mar in 1570. Located at the top of Castle Wynd, Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland.
Roman Stirlingshire. Includes three outstanding lengths of the Antonine Wall, and one wall-fort. Walling Lodge. Visible remains of the rampart have been destroyed by agriculture, but the profile of the ditch retains its original V-section. Located west of centre of Falkirk on B 816. Rough Castle, Roman fort and adjacent length of rampart and ditch. Rough Castle fort, one of the most notable Roman military sites in Britain, was excsavated by the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland in 1903. It has recently been placed in the custody of the Ministry. A programme of archaeological excavation as a preliminary to consolidation is being carried out. The fort covers about an acre, with double ditches, and an annexe on the east side. Several buildings in the fort, and the bath-house in the annexe, were uncovered in 1903, but their plans cannot now be distinguished on the ground. A unique feature is the series of defensive pits, lilia, outside the Antonine ditch on the left front of the fort. Two inscriptions identify the garrison, the 6th Nervian cohort. The site of the fort is a most commanding
one, on the brink of a ravine in which descends the Roman Burn.
Located, one and a half miles east of Bonnybridge. Seabegs Wood. A good length of rampart and ditch.
Located one and half miles south-west of Bonnybridge beside route B 816.
Stirling Castle was the the strategic centre of Scotland, and looks down upon most of the great formative battle fields of Scottish history. As a fortress and a royal palace, its buildings were frequently destroyed and rebuilt, or refashioned at the whim of monarchs. The wonder is that so much of interest survives, including the fine fifteenth century hall, built by James III; the royal palace mostly the work of James V, and showing a quaint mixture of Gothic with Renaissance details; the Chapter Royal, built by James VI for the christening of Prince Henry in 1594; the
fine gatehouse of James IV; and important bastioned outworks, dating from the sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
Stirling Old Bridge, Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland. Erected between 1410 and 1415, this fine bridge consists of four arches. The southern one was rebuilt in 1749, after the original arch had been blown up during the Forty-five to prevent the Highlanders entering the town.
St Saviour’s Church, Keir Street, Bridge of Allan, Stirlingshire, Scotland.
Built in 1857, and later enlarged, St Saviour's forms part of a group of Gothic revival buildings comprising church, hall and rectory by Alexander Ross, 1856..
Stirlingshire Kings Knot. A "knot" garden constructed in the King's Park below the Royal Palace of Stirling. It was one of the earliest ornamental gardens in Scotland and was devised with a layout of lawns and terraces with earthen mounds and ramps. Located below and to the west of the castle rock. Visible from the castle ramparts.
The Argyll Lodging is a great mansion erected about the year 1630; purchased in 1655 by the first Marquess of Argyll. The house has been in use as a military hospital since the later eighteenth century. In scale and architectural character, it is the most impressive town mansion in Scotland of its period. Famous personages associated with it include King Charles II, James VII and the Duke of Cumberland. Located at the top of Castle Wynd, Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland.
Westquarter Dovecot. A rectangular type of dovecot of considerable architectural merit. Over the entrance doorway is an heraldic panel dated 1647 containing the arms of Sir William Livingstone of Westquarter. The shield carries quarterly the arm of Livingstone and Callender. Besides the initials of William Livingstone are those of his wife "D" (for dame) "H." "L." Located in Westquarter, east-south-east of Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland.